Problems with share recording and live data

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Problems with share recording and live data

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat May 26, 2018 10:15 am

There are currently problems with share recording and live data. The cause of the problems is unknown, and they started occurring without any releases or action on our part, making them difficult to troubleshoot.

I'll continue to look into the issue. Right now, there is no ETA on when they will be resolved. Mining continues as normal and Chris will make share corrections after the issues have been resolved.
CSZiggy

Re: Problems with share recording and live data

Post by CSZiggy » Sat May 26, 2018 10:19 am

why bother, no one cares.
Last edited by CSZiggy on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat May 26, 2018 10:22 am

CSZiggy wrote:Is WAMP down or just not showing on the main website?

Can bots still connect and mine the top coin off of it?
That data isn't available to the public and anyone trying to connect to it will find that it isn't useful for their purposes.

I'm having difficulty investigating because these things always tend to happen when we are the least equipped to fix them - for example, during the holidays when we do not have access to the development environment.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 am

why bother, no one cares.
Last edited by CSZiggy on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpuche27

Post by jpuche27 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 am

Ok. What should we do? Stay with you or we have to change to another pool??

Will you recognize the profit lost?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat May 26, 2018 10:44 am

OK, the issue appears to be resolved. The cause of the problem was that the system was waiting for daemons to respond to requests to obtain data about found blocks. I reduced the amount of wait time so that the system will continue inserting shares even if the blocks are not available. Unfortunately, I was not able to determine why the daemons were performing so poorly and why the problem happened suddenly without our having made any changes.

After the holiday weekend, I'll add code to, once the system is behind by a large amount, skip all the blocks and just insert shares as quickly as possible to get back to normal.

Chris will work on the share corrections later today. Yesterday's profitability is listed below litecoin, which indicates that the issue probably began yesterday for one of the share inserters and went unnoticed. Therefore, he will likely credit customers for both yesterday and today when hashrates are low. The corrections will be made in about 12 hours.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat May 26, 2018 1:44 pm

OK, I think I figured this one out. The system is running out of memory and dropping shares as a result.

What probably happened is that while more miners have joined us over time, Chris never increased the amount of memory and there were too many shares to be processed. When he gets back from lunch, I'll ask him to increase the amount of memory available to the share inserters.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat May 26, 2018 6:05 pm

For those who are interested, this is a case of unintended consequences. I determined that the cause of the out of memory issues is that we previously estimated the profitability from the master mining server's profitability. When we started making exact estimates from all the mining servers, the number of profitability updates climbed by a factor of 8.

Because the old profitability data is cleared after 15 minutes, and not by the number of records in memory, the updates were eight times as frequent, and the system ran out of memory despite all the code working great.
jpuche27

Post by jpuche27 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:53 am

Hello steve. Can you tell me if the problem is fixed? Because i didnt get my money from yesterday. So i need to know a answer from you. Thanks
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sun May 27, 2018 7:10 am

jpuche27 wrote:Hello steve. Can you tell me if the problem is fixed? Because i didnt get my money from yesterday. So i need to know a answer from you. Thanks
My understanding before I went to sleep was that yes, the problem should have been resolved overnight. About $10,000 was credited to customers.