Mining server remains offline this morning

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Mining server remains offline this morning

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:41 am

The mining server remains offline this morning. Once Chris got the connection online, the system was hit with many garbage packets, which were presumably being filtered by Javapipe before. Chris applied iptables filtering to get rid of the packets and all other services are back online. The connection is fully upgraded and finished.

Then, he had been awake for 24 hours and couldn't stay awake any longer to complete the new mining server installation. In a little while, I'll resume with configuring the the mining servers from where he left off.
guyver

Re: Mining server remains offline this morning

Post by guyver » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:50 am

Appreciate what you are doing Steve and Chris. Think you run an awesome service. Even though unfortanate at times, we still need sleep ;-).
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:26 am

Here's an update on what's occurring today. Chris is going to get 2-3 hours of sleep so that he can continue to function at a minimal level. Then, he'll resume work on getting both the old and new mining servers up at the same time. We rejected the idea of just getting the original mining server back online for two hours because we figured it was better to have him get sleep so we can get the permanent solution up sooner. Another problem is that we need to update the old mining server first to patch the Spectre vulnerability. The hardware of all servers is tested and working.

The JIRA system appears to be incorrectly configured and is taking a long time to respond. We'll focus on that this afternoon. The E-Mail, forums, and website are finished and functioning normally. You should already notice significantly reduced latency to these services, as there is no longer a VPN tunnel in the way, and we now have enough bandwidth to drop the constant attack packets onsite. I confirmed that the Microsoft spam filtering problem has been eliminated.

I'll be back to provide an update in 4-8 hours, when we can expect to finish bringing everything back online. All of the remaining tasks are software-based, there are no blockers or problems to troubleshoot, and we are no longer waiting on any other people; the only limitation is human endurance to stay awake.

And, I also figured out the missing link behind the low luck miners, at least part of it. But that description is for another time.
Last edited by Steve Sokolowski on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TOYJB

Post by TOYJB » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:32 am

good luck guys! hope you get up and running without issues
sherm77

Post by sherm77 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:48 am

Steve, thanks for the update! I've only recently started using your service a little, but I believe I'll be switching my miners over very soon. You provide a lot of services no one else even comes close to providing.

Having been in IT since 1982, I know that upgrades, especially customer facing, can be daunting and filled with unknowns that don't show up in testing. Thanks for all of the hard work! I'd bring some espresso if I weren't in the Midwest. :)