Addressing CPU issues

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Addressing CPU issues

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:47 pm

I was able to significantly reduce CPU usage on several of the mining servers. It turns out that there are a few misconfigured miners that try to login thousands of times per minute, and dropping their packets upstream resolves the CPU usage issue for all but one of the servers.

With the other server, there are a lot of connections from a cloud mining service. Chris is going to work on a better load balancing system so that the connections are better distributed across the servers to improve performance for users of that cloud mining service at 209.216.176.34.

With the reduced CPU usage, stale shares are likely to improve for miners who are not using that service. Feel free to share your experiences.
Last edited by Steve Sokolowski on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mycide

Re: Addressing CPU issues

Post by mycide » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:48 pm

for the last 2 hours i been kicked to my backup pool.
Running rigs: KNC Titan, Antminer D3 & L3+'s
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:50 pm

mycide wrote:for the last 2 hours i been kicked to my backup pool.
Are you using a shared connection with anyone?
mycide

Post by mycide » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:51 pm

No, it's my private internet connection at home.
Trying with a reboot on one of the L3+ it is not even connecting to PH, ui say _never_ connected to PH i have not had that shown before, have i been banned from connecting?
Running rigs: KNC Titan, Antminer D3 & L3+'s
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 pm

What is your IP address? I'll take a look.

Or, you can submit a support ticket with the address.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:45 am

Chris made some changes to address this issue without needing to ban anyone.

Some of the mining servers had more connections than others, because we simply took the modulo of the last subnet of the IP addresses and assigned them to a mining server. We needed a repeatable algorithm for load balancing back in the time when the system was unstable and we couldn't depend upon the mining servers all starting at the same time.

Now, the algorithm is to assign new connections to a mining server at random. That means that load balancing will be equal, assuming that one mining server doesn't go offline and cause people to reconnect to the other servers, before coming back online itself with fewer connections. With the increased stability of the mining servers recently, everything seems to be working better than yesterday, so far. Currently, there are no blocked connections (because that code is disabled) and CPU load is around 50%, down from maximum on two of the servers yesterday.