Coin changes - Additions and discontinuations

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Re: Coin changes - Additions and discontinuations

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:27 am

The following coins were discontinued on July 23:

Coins with low earnings:

Namecoin
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:51 pm

The following coins have been discontinued on August 13:

Coins with no working exchanges:

2baccocoin
Acescoin
CTLcoin
Kiwicoin
PLNcoin
Scryptcoin
Tetracoin

Coins with low earnings:

Coino
CoolinDarkcoin
DigiEuro
GPUcoin
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:18 pm

The following coins were discontinued today:

Demoncoin
Yocoin

Coins with low earnings:

IMScoin
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:41 pm

The following coins were discontinued today:

Anoncoin
Summitcoin
excelerator

Post by excelerator » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:52 pm

Chris Sokolowski wrote:The following coins were discontinued today:

Demoncoin
Yocoin

Coins with low earnings:

IMScoin

Remember when Yocoin reward was $18 USD in early July? Amazing it's already dead....
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:33 pm

excelerator wrote:Remember when Yocoin reward was $18 USD in early July? Amazing it's already dead....
The change to being an Ethereum contract means that we can't pay in it since we haven't yet implemented support for such assets.

The main reason Yocoin went downhill was because it was destroyed by a 51% attack where someone with more than 51% of the hashrate withheld 40-50 blocks at a time then uploaded them all at once, reversing confirmed transactions. I am concerned this is becoming a trend that will affect other profitable scrypt coins in the future. First it was Fedoracoin, then Yocoin, then Bitmark. All were good coins that got attacked and due to the reversal of transactions were delisted from exchanges.

The only way to counter this is to make sure that a trusted pool has more hashrate than the attackers. We are considering implementing a feature where we could force all our hashrate toward a given coin network, regardless of profitability, to thwart a 51% attack. The immediate loss of money by not mining the most profitable coin would be outweighed by the long-term gain of saving the network so we could mine it in the future, and it wouldn't be bad to see the attackers waste all their hashrate and money too.
excelerator

Post by excelerator » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Thanks for this insight! I learn more from you guys than any other resource out there about mining.
CritterDog

Post by CritterDog » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:12 pm

Chris Sokolowski wrote:
excelerator wrote:Remember when Yocoin reward was $18 USD in early July? Amazing it's already dead....
The change to being an Ethereum contract means that we can't pay in it since we haven't yet implemented support for such assets.

The main reason Yocoin went downhill was because it was destroyed by a 51% attack where someone with more than 51% of the hashrate withheld 40-50 blocks at a time then uploaded them all at once, reversing confirmed transactions. I am concerned this is becoming a trend that will affect other profitable scrypt coins in the future. First it was Fedoracoin, then Yocoin, then Bitmark. All were good coins that got attacked and due to the reversal of transactions were delisted from exchanges.

The only way to counter this is to make sure that a trusted pool has more hashrate than the attackers. We are considering implementing a feature where we could force all our hashrate toward a given coin network, regardless of profitability, to thwart a 51% attack. The immediate loss of money by not mining the most profitable coin would be outweighed by the long-term gain of saving the network so we could mine it in the future, and it wouldn't be bad to see the attackers waste all their hashrate and money too.
Hi Chris, I think that is a great idea that you would help save any coin against a 51% attack! This is why I support this pool over all the others I have tried. I appreciate both you and Steve really are on top of things on this very complex pool. Always working on it and always available to answer questions! I have herd talk that you might be adding GPU mining support in the future. If you do this it would be great if somehow you could have custom software written just for this pool that is Windows 7 compatible.. I have a good graphic card but all the other pools assume we all know how to make them mine.. Some instructions are very complex for the "new" guy that has never done it before.. This is something all the pools need to do a better job on imo.. I have read many questions in forums from frustrated miners that cant get there GPU to mine proper. They have never made a .bat file like me when I first started.. It can be very intimidating for some...Anyway just a thought.. Thanks
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:05 am

CritterDog wrote:I have herd talk that you might be adding GPU mining support in the future. If you do this it would be great if somehow you could have custom software written just for this pool that is Windows 7 compatible.. I have a good graphic card but all the other pools assume we all know how to make them mine.. Some instructions are very complex for the "new" guy that has never done it before.. This is something all the pools need to do a better job on imo.. I have read many questions in forums from frustrated miners that cant get there GPU to mine proper. They have never made a .bat file like me when I first started.. It can be very intimidating for some...Anyway just a thought.. Thanks
That's a great idea. I'm not sure that a desktop client is in our plans for the future due to the amount of programming required. But if we do support GPU mining, I would definitely try to make it as easy as possible to mine on this pool using existing software, perhaps providing optimal configurations for common GPUs and OS's that could be copied verbatim into the client. The advantage of GPU mining is that GPUs are easy to obtain and relatively cheap so we can test a lot of different models. That's still in the future though. When we get Ethereum mining working, then I will start looking into this further.
galixxx

Post by galixxx » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Poloniex announced a week ago the delisting of following coins. Attached the twitter messages:

"Poloniex Exchange ‏@Poloniex Aug 22
1 of 2 - On 9/5/2016, the following markets will be delisted: ABY, ADN, BITUSD, CNMT, DAO, DSH, FIBRE, FLT, GAP, GRS, HYP, IFC, LQD, MCN"

"Poloniex Exchange ‏@Poloniex Aug 22
2 of 2 - On 9/5/2016, the following markets will be delisted: MINT, MMC, MNTA, PIGGY, PTS, SILK, SWARM, WDC, XC, XCR, XPB, XUSD, YACC"