Changes to coin assignment

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Changes to coin assignment

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:43 am

About 12 hours ago, I made some changes to coin assignment that will make the pool more aggressive in selecting more profitable coins than litecoin. We should see an increase in profit today, but it's also possible that some mining equipment could be affected by more rapid coin switches. It's unknown right now whether there actually will be more rapid switches and whether miners will be affected. Because the change occurred so late in the day, there was no significant impact on yesterday's profits.

If this change causes so many problems that it isn't worth the increase in profitability, then we can revert it tonight. Please offer your comments in this thread throughout the day so that we can hear from customers whether we should continue with this more aggressive algorithm or revert the changes.

Also, the changes appear to have caused an issue with the total hashrates displayed at the top of the forums. The hashrate charts and live hashrates are working fine, so that can be ignored for now. It's a simple fix and we'll fix it if we decide to stay with the new algorithm.
clt89864

Re: Changes to coin assignment

Post by clt89864 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:52 am

any way to offer this more aggressive posture on a different port? I have no problem pointing a good portion of my miners towards to the more aggressive option but I'd not like to risk the downtime and constant reboots of my machines if they go sideways with the rapid switches.
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:03 am

I've noticed that in the 'Live worker status', the coin switches to the same coin (say, Verge to Verge) and resets the timer. I don't know if that's just a visual thing or if it's affecting something on the worker. I also noticed it was switching (to the same coin, maybe to other coins) faster than the 'Work restart delay' value (which was at 6.7 seconds at the time, it's lower now). I might be misunderstanding what that value is supposed to represent.

As to profits, probably not the best time to see how effective it is, as nicehash just came back up and that would be having some effect(?). That said, I'm projected to earn roughly the same amount of raw LTC as I did on the 19th so I'm happy with it either way (happier with the aggressive algorithm if it's compensating for the nicehash dip, if such a thing exists).
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:34 am

clt89864 wrote:any way to offer this more aggressive posture on a different port? I have no problem pointing a good portion of my miners towards to the more aggressive option but I'd not like to risk the downtime and constant reboots of my machines if they go sideways with the rapid switches.
Then how would you calculate profits?

If the only reason profits increase is because of the more aggressive approach, then they should get more of the profits, rather then the ones who decide not to, correct?

Then they'd need to create two separate graphs for profits depending on what aggression you are on.
AppleMiner

Post by AppleMiner » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:18 am

Or apply the settings to just 1 of the servers at a time, and allow those who want to test new changes for a day to connect to that server.

Like add a test=yes password argument, if set that miner is able to be spun up on the server that has the test code applied to it.
On a normal day just load balance as needed. For a new code allow those that want to test and offer feedback for 24 to do so.
If the code works out, roll it up to the other machines 24 hours later, if it fails or complaints, fix and try the next day before deploying to the all the rest of the servers, or roll it back and try again.