Memory leak present

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Memory leak present

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:51 pm

We discovered a memory leak in the mining servers that is causing them to crash every few hours. When the mining servers crash, the system automatically restarts them, resulting in the affected miners seeing "no valid shares yet" messages. Previously, the load balancing algorithm would then leave that server at 25% capacity and overload the others, but we fixed that.

The problem is that the number of blocks in memory keeps increasing over time, as if some of them aren't being garbage collected due to excess references. I'm investigating the problem and hope to have more information on it tomorrow, although memory leaks are very difficult to reproduce and resolve. Until then, you might see disconnects every six hours or so followed by one minute of downtime while a particular server restarts.
Last edited by Steve Sokolowski on Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Sokolowski

Re: Memory leak present

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:03 pm

The disconnects are still occurring because of this memory leak. Each mining server runs until it uses too much memory and then restarts.

I spent the day trying to configure up a debugger and failed. I'll try again tomorrow, and suspect that it won't take long to figure out the problem after I am able to get it set up. As with anything dealing with computers nowadays, configuration takes longer than coding.