The future of Prohashing

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
GregoryGHarding

Re: The future of Prohashing

Post by GregoryGHarding » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:48 pm

just as i suspected, congratulations on your expansion bros, if there's anything i can do to help make prohashing provide as envisioned, you have my information.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:57 pm

GregoryGHarding wrote:just as i suspected, congratulations on your expansion bros, if there's anything i can do to help make prohashing provide as envisioned, you have my information.
Are you discussing this in the chat?
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:
GregoryGHarding wrote:just as i suspected, congratulations on your expansion bros, if there's anything i can do to help make prohashing provide as envisioned, you have my information.
Are you discussing this in the chat?
all news posts are posted in slack, no active conversation atm
Darklyspectre

Post by Darklyspectre » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Upgrades.

Buys 20 core xeon while y'all could of gotten a 32 core AMD EPYC and save a pretty penny for more performance
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Darklyspectre wrote:Upgrades.

Buys 20 core xeon while y'all could of gotten a 32 core AMD EPYC and save a pretty penny for more performance
never happy are ya dark? lol
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Darklyspectre wrote:Upgrades.

GregoryGHarding wrote: never happy are ya dark? lol
To be honest, if they are using xeons (since EPYC does not have 20 cores configuration, goes from 16 to 24) he's not wrong.

There's no value in xeon based servers at the moment in comparison to EPYC based servers

Example:

EPYC 7601 32 core processor for $4200

Vs

Xeon 8180 28 core processor for $10009
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:24 pm

intel performs better with single thread processes, something thats used much more than multi thread/core
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:51 pm

GregoryGHarding wrote:intel performs better with single thread processes, something thats used much more than multi thread/core
Not when it comes to servers.

As well, Intel performs very similarly to AMD in single threaded processes. Generally within 5% difference, sometimes with AMD in favor, and in extremes with Intel about 10% ahead.

But that's only at the same frequency, of which AMD processors are in general higher frequency for the same cost.

But in regards to servers, core counts matter a ton.

If cores didn't matter in a server environment (and i can guarantee you if they want a 20 core server for SHA-256 that guarantees cores matter for mining servers) then people could just get high frequency low core count processors and do just fine rather then spending a ton more on more cores less frequency processors when they'd get better performance from single/low threaded applications and spend less on high frequency low core count processors.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:01 am

Aura89 wrote:
GregoryGHarding wrote:intel performs better with single thread processes, something thats used much more than multi thread/core
Not when it comes to servers.

As well, Intel performs very similarly to AMD in single threaded processes. Generally within 5% difference, sometimes with AMD in favor, and in extremes with Intel about 10% ahead.

But that's only at the same frequency, of which AMD processors are in general higher frequency for the same cost.

But in regards to servers, core counts matter a ton.

If cores didn't matter in a server environment (and i can guarantee you if they want a 20 core server for SHA-256 that guarantees cores matter for mining servers) then people could just get high frequency low core count processors and do just fine rather then spending a ton more on more cores less frequency processors when they'd get better performance from single/low threaded applications and spend less on high frequency low core count processors.
We generally don't buy new servers. The daemon servers are second (and this time third) generation servers coming off lease. In this case, we bought them from Cisco, which replaces the company's internal IT systems every three years. These servers were worth $10k new, but they get offloaded at 3-5% of cost because it would cost more to pay someone to try to get a better price. We don't care about their reliability because as long as we back up the keys, we can always just reinstall the coins when they fail. Single-core speed is irrelevant because we're running 100 daemons on a server.
Constance Hilliard

Post by Constance Hilliard » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Hello everyone! Just popping in to say that I look forward to working with Prohashing and the entire community as it gains momentum.

As Steve mentioned, I will be involved in many aspects of the business and hope to be fairly active on the forums as we roll out the changes needed for this "aggressive expansion" option. I will be officially starting at the end of the month and will create my first official forum post then. Until then, thank you all for your support!