Connection limit purposely restored

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Connection limit purposely restored

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:17 am

A while ago, the pool encountered a connection limit of 7500 workers that was unintentionally created by Debian when Chris installed the operating system. It took a while, but Chris was able to resolve the issue and remove the limit, which was unnecessarily low.

Now, however, since the pool is reaching the upper limits of its current capacity, we brainstormed how we can keep things operating reasonably well and decided to purposely re-institute that connection limit, at 10,500. In many ways, it's good that Chris found out about the limit earlier. This change will result in the following behavior:

1. Some miners will be unable to connect, while miners who were already able to connect will remain connected
2. Miners who keep trying will get in eventually until they disconnect on their side
3. Efficiency will rise for all connected miners, because the connection management will be done on another core, keeping CPU usage on the mining server just around 99%

Set your miners with a backup pool. If you can't get a connection slot initially, your miners will mine at the backup pool until they all eventually connect here. That will allow you to make full efficiency at both pools. Since registrations are currently closed, normal attrition will make it more likely that you'll be able to connect over time.

We apologize for this temporary setback. Chris is working as hard as possible to get the business and legal aspects of the pool handled, and we will be able to move forward no later than November 17.
Last edited by Steve Sokolowski on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcdavi02

Re: Connection limit purposely restored

Post by mcdavi02 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Is this limit a total of 7500 including x11 and scrypt? I ask because I got the boot this morning and have not reconnected, but the site shows something like 9500 connections now if I'm reading it right. I really like to see everything in one place, I love the layout on Prohashing, so you are my primary pool. Do you plan to increase capacity? As more people get the D3 miners en-mass the # of X11 connections will keep going up!
AppleMiner

Post by AppleMiner » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:01 pm

Think the limit was set to 10,500 not 7500.
That should be the total worker limit on the pool so everything both scrypt and x-11.
OdysseyMining

Post by OdysseyMining » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:09 pm

HI Guys,

Thanks for update :)

Is solo mining working? I cant get it to work at all. have tried loads over last couple weeks.
I really would like to get back to solo mining a few coins here.
Thanks

Phil
AppleMiner

Post by AppleMiner » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:20 pm

Really depends on what coin you are picking to mine.
Which coin are you trying to solo you cant connect in on Odyssey?
Raptor1

Post by Raptor1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi Steve,
I appreciate your & Chris’s efforts in rectifying the issues that frustrated both your clients & you.

Meanwhile as a businessperson I take exception to your statement “keep things operating reasonably well”!
I only hope that this is not the philosophy moving forward, and I hope that the objective is keep things operating “well”.

I apologize in advance for my criticism, but the intent is to be constructive.
I wish Prohash and its patron’s mutual success.
Sincerely
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Raptor1 wrote:Hi Steve,
I appreciate your & Chris’s efforts in rectifying the issues that frustrated both your clients & you.

Meanwhile as a businessperson I take exception to your statement “keep things operating reasonably well”!
I only hope that this is not the philosophy moving forward, and I hope that the objective is keep things operating “well”.

I apologize in advance for my criticism, but the intent is to be constructive.
I wish Prohash and its patron’s mutual success.
Sincerely
Thanks for the comments. I certainly don't want the system to continue running at the current level of performance indefinitely and apologize for the current problems. For the last seven weeks, however, we couldn't do anything until we were able to find a qualified lawyer, which is actually an extremely difficult task.

We plan to post an announcement on Tuesday about the future of the project. Make sure to check back then!
OdysseyMining

Post by OdysseyMining » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:14 am

Had many coins I cant mine solo. All used to work for me.
BridgeCoin is one right now.. Scrypt.
Rupee - Scrypt

They only connect with the a=scrypt not c=coinname m=solo
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Chris was able to successfully remove this limit temporarily. We'll reinstitute it when the system again reaches capacity.

We were able to increase capacity by setting g=off for all miners by default, by dramatically increasing the minimum difficulty and minimum d= setting, and disconnecting "idle workers," which are miners who connect to the system and then never submit any shares. These workers waste CPU power and take away connection slots from other contributing miners.
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:Chris was able to successfully remove this limit temporarily. We'll reinstitute it when the system again reaches capacity.

We were able to increase capacity by setting g=off for all miners by default, by dramatically increasing the minimum difficulty and minimum d= setting, and disconnecting "idle workers," which are miners who connect to the system and then never submit any shares. These workers waste CPU power and take away connection slots from other contributing miners.
In your help page, g=off is stated to potentially lower profits, so...is that not true, or should we set to to dynamic manually now to get the most profit?