Change in static coin mining

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Change in static coin mining

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Today, we made a small change to static coin mining.

When we released the newest performance improvements to the share inserter, we removed the code that prevented static coin miners from mining coins less difficult than their share difficulty. We decided to retain that change, but we also modified payouts so that these miners will now be paid as if their shares are worth as much as the network's block difficulty.

The previous code was mathematically incorrect because miners could theoretically make more money than the network could create. The blocks simply weren't worth enough to pay them the large difficulties of the shares they could mine. In practice, however, miners who mined with static difficulties on static coins have large numbers of stale shares, because every valid share finds a block and then the subsequent blocks with the same height are rejected.

If you mine difficult static coins, or if you have a slow miner that mines easy coins, or if you use auto switching, or if you use automatic difficulty, then you won't be affected by this change.

The documentation on the website will be modified to reflect this change shortly.
gestalt

Re: Change in static coin mining

Post by gestalt » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:10 pm

I'm a little confused. Any chance you could please provide an example of a situation where this would result in a change? The help page says "If used in conjunction with the c= argument (static coin), then if the coin's blocks are easier than the static difficulty, the coin's difficulty will be used instead". I didn't check if this was working correctly with a fine tooth comb, but it did appear to be working. If I set a static coin to, for example, Heisenberg Hex, it would switch my miner to 8k shares. The current network difficulty is approximately 0.14 * ( 2^32) =~ 9175 * (2^16). An 8k share seems correct in this case and you would expect the network difficulty to go up from there. Are you saying that previously, we would be credited with a larger share than 8k (whatever we put for "d=") ?
dog1965

Post by dog1965 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:40 pm

I would like to know that formula as well ??????
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:47 pm

gestalt wrote:I'm a little confused. Any chance you could please provide an example of a situation where this would result in a change? The help page says "If used in conjunction with the c= argument (static coin), then if the coin's blocks are easier than the static difficulty, the coin's difficulty will be used instead". I didn't check if this was working correctly with a fine tooth comb, but it did appear to be working. If I set a static coin to, for example, Heisenberg Hex, it would switch my miner to 8k shares. The current network difficulty is approximately 0.14 * ( 2^32) =~ 9175 * (2^16). An 8k share seems correct in this case and you would expect the network difficulty to go up from there. Are you saying that previously, we would be credited with a larger share than 8k (whatever we put for "d=") ?
might be time to turn off your bot that only hits top profitability coins, youre hurting the entire pool by doing this

@steve, did you guys find the Trojan daemon?
hashingpro

Post by hashingpro » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:43 am

Steve Sokolowski wrote:In practice, however, miners who mined with static difficulties on static coins have large numbers of stale shares, because every valid share finds a block and then the subsequent blocks with the same height are rejected.

As I see we are now up to 11TH as I write this message...do we really need a bunch of extra stale shares floating around useless when we need every ounce of the bandwidth?
TTo314

Post by TTo314 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:06 am

The documentation about "Mining with Nicehash" is obsolete
jjackson

Post by jjackson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:57 am

I agree, it's not relevant yet...