Investigating lower earnings

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Investigating lower earnings

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:04 am

Hi Everyone,

I've received multiple reports that earnings are lower than expected, and I want to investigate and fix it tonight. There are so many things that could cause this issue that I need the community to help me narrow down what could be causing it. Therefore, I would like help with three questions:
  • What date did this first start?
  • Are the hashrates incorrect or only the earnings?
  • Are both the live and historical data affected or only one?
If I can determine the cause of the issue, then I can trace back all earnings history and credit everyone for the error. I apologize for the issue and hope to have a quick solution. I appreciate the help in advance.
JoeTheMiner

Re: Investigating lower earnings

Post by JoeTheMiner » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:23 am

Chris Sokolowski wrote:Hi Everyone,

I've received multiple reports that earnings are lower than expected, and I want to investigate and fix it tonight. There are so many things that could cause this issue that I need the community to help me narrow down what could be causing it. Therefore, I would like help with three questions:
  • What date did this first start?
  • Are the hashrates incorrect or only the earnings?
  • Are both the live and historical data affected or only one?
If I can determine the cause of the issue, then I can trace back all earnings history and credit everyone for the error. I apologize for the issue and hope to have a quick solution. I appreciate the help in advance.
Good evening Chris,

In answer to your questions:
  • For me right after the release on the 16th/17th but I didn't really notice until system came online after ddos.
  • As far as I can tell hashrates maybe a little on the low side but more than likely correct.
  • Not for sure on this one.
Hope this helps.

Joe
VanessaEzekowitz

Post by VanessaEzekowitz » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:35 am

1. For me, it started on the morning of June 21. From a raw-numbers-in-my-local-wallet standpoint, it looks like it may still be a problem.
2a. Hash rates are correct, within a fair margin of error.
2b. Earnings since the problem started just seem wrong to me. Looks like I've received roughly half of what I should have got between June 21 and June 23, rough guess based on my wallet's transaction log and the site's payout history, but because I had some on-again, off-again Nicehash activity at the same time, I can't be sure. I could be dead wrong. I defer to your judgement here.
2c. Power usage since the problem started is WAY wrong -- anywhere from about 1/4 to about 1/20 of what would be correct for me.
3. Historical data for hash rate, earnings, and power usage prior to that point look okay to me.

Also, bear in mind that several coins are not getting correct (or any) data from their daemons, according to the list at the bottom of the pool home page. Greg reported that BitConnectCoin just disconnects when you try to single-coin mine that one, also.
Last edited by VanessaEzekowitz on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Join Hashflare, make some money, and help a crabby old battle axe earn too, using my referral link:
https://hashflare.io/r/19027B79
AvPro

Post by AvPro » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:53 am

1. Noticed it over the past 48 hours, I think it has been since the DDOS upgrades as it was 100% working as normal on Friday 16th then I didn't do too much mining till recently. Yesterday was particularly affected. Returns from mining are just not equal to what the profit figure says when mining

2. Hashrates appear ok, if I happen to use NH the delta between mining now and mining a week ago is higher by +\- 2\3% and stale shares have for sure increased.

3. Can't comment sorry

Earnings just do not add up at all recently- they do not match the profit figures on the website
Likewise we have a few scrypt coins with errors so we cant mine them with c= or being allocated them
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:47 am

VanessaEzekowitz wrote:1. For me, it started on the morning of June 21. From a raw-numbers-in-my-local-wallet standpoint, it looks like it may still be a problem.
2a. Hash rates are correct, within a fair margin of error.
2b. Earnings since the problem started just seem wrong to me. Looks like I've received roughly half of what I should have got between June 21 and June 23, rough guess based on my wallet's transaction log and the site's payout history, but because I had some on-again, off-again Nicehash activity at the same time, I can't be sure. I could be dead wrong. I defer to your judgement here.
2c. Power usage since the problem started is WAY wrong -- anywhere from about 1/4 to about 1/20 of what would be correct for me.
3. Historical data for hash rate, earnings, and power usage prior to that point look okay to me.

Also, bear in mind that several coins are not getting correct (or any) data from their daemons, according to the list at the bottom of the pool home page. Greg reported that BitConnectCoin just disconnects when you try to single-coin mine that one, also.
The power usage issue has been resolved, but has not yet been released. We plan to release those changes soon, and when they are released, the electricity figures will be corrected.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Chris seems to have an idea of what might have happened.

Since all of our time has been consumed by responding to the attacks and customer service requests, we have had to deprioritize the addition of new coins, discovery of new markets, and coin discontinuation. Coins tend to come and go, and new coins often have a period of high profitability in the beginning.

Chris plans to focus on this after the customer service backlog is eliminated. There are 25 new coins that we aren't mining right now. He's already working on new exchange markets, which should extract money through market pathways that are overpriced.
JoeTheMiner

Post by JoeTheMiner » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:Chris seems to have an idea of what might have happened.

Since all of our time has been consumed by responding to the attacks and customer service requests, we have had to deprioritize the addition of new coins, discovery of new markets, and coin discontinuation. Coins tend to come and go, and new coins often have a period of high profitability in the beginning.

Chris plans to focus on this after the customer service backlog is eliminated. There are 25 new coins that we aren't mining right now. He's already working on new exchange markets, which should extract money through market pathways that are overpriced.
Just wanted to note that if Chris made any changes last night it seems to have made a big difference. Everything seems to be back the way it was before the DDOS.

Thanks!
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:16 pm

JoeTheMiner wrote:
Steve Sokolowski wrote:Chris seems to have an idea of what might have happened.

Just wanted to note that if Chris made any changes last night it seems to have made a big difference. Everything seems to be back the way it was before the DDOS.

Thanks!
Chris enabled compression in WAMP, which reduced bandwidth usage 40x. We didn't know that compression existed until someone on the forums pointed out that the website was using up to 1GB/h on a phone.

As happened with the x11 release, searching for bugs finds them, and in this case the WAMP issues existed well before the VPN.