Update on the pool downtime

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Re: Update on the pool downtime

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:42 pm

edonkey wrote:I can see the main site now.

Looks like there's a tweet that I didn't see rcommending purging the DNS cache. I didn't see that before.

Maybe my problem earlier was a stale DNS entry?

Anyway, looks like you guys are back. Good work! I know that this stuff is hard.
I think that some services don't update their DNS servers very frequently. Westhash, for example, is caching outdated DNS information. Unfortunately, you can't do much about that except wait until their DNS updates.

DNS propagates across the Internet slowly, so even if you clear your cache, the servers might have outdated information still.
edonkey

Post by edonkey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:
edonkey wrote:I can see the main site now.

Looks like there's a tweet that I didn't see rcommending purging the DNS cache. I didn't see that before.

Maybe my problem earlier was a stale DNS entry?

Anyway, looks like you guys are back. Good work! I know that this stuff is hard.
I think that some services don't update their DNS servers very frequently. Westhash, for example, is caching outdated DNS information. Unfortunately, you can't do much about that except wait until their DNS updates.

DNS propagates across the Internet slowly, so even if you clear your cache, the servers might have outdated information still.
True. Since I was still seeing problems with my miners connecting, I decided to just use the IP address (192.3.198.21) for now.

I'll change it back when DNS has settled out. I've heard it can take 24 hours to propagate around the world, although usually it seems to happen faster than that (from an anecdotal standpoint).
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:51 pm

I will be increasing balances later when I analyze what was happening with the system this morning while I was asleep. The live stats are currently a bit slow while I am tuning the remote server, but the mining, a separate server, is running at full speed and profitability.
FRISKIE

Post by FRISKIE » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Good news then, the system did indeed have some issues while you were zzzzz :)
JoeTheMiner

Post by JoeTheMiner » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Chris/Steve,

What is the ETA on WAMP being back up? If it is going to be down for a while is there a REST api for profitability or something that I could use for renting on NiceHash? Really hurting my income from all of the downtime.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:54 pm

This will be my final post in this thread.

These attacks have been successfully mitigated. They might try again, but they will need to spend a lot more money to succeed. There have been outages lasting about 2s before the measures kick in and drop all the attack traffic. Javapipe's customer service is exceptional and I highly recommend them. I'll be writing a post detailing the full measures that we took and the steps we used to get past the attacks.

Any current issues are not related to the attacks. There are a few issues that came up because we had to release untested code to fix them, and we are repairing those issues. There are also some new performance issues that were uncovered after we fixed the database performance last week - this time it's with WAMP, which we hope to improve this weekend.

If you think that something isn't working, please contact Chris using the information on the contact page and he will investigate the issue. Thanks for your patience during this trying time!