Release today

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Release today

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:59 am

Great news! After hours of testing that stretched until 4:00am, Chris successfully certified the new release that we've been talking about for a while. However, he did not execute the release because he fell asleep, having spent the time he would have spent releasing correcting balances for yesterday instead.

He will take up at noon, eat lunch, and then execute the release at around 3:00pm EDT. This release includes the addition and removal of columns, so it could take a long time, especially when we add the NOT NULL constraint. It is also possible that something on the website might be wrong when he starts up and some initial corrections will need to be made. We will try to minimize the downtime as much as possible. By 6:00pm EDT, he will either have posted here that the release is completed, or reverted to deal with the bugs after I am available in the evening.

This release should reduce database load by 20% if we set the sampling rate for random shares to 2. We can increase that load reduction to 30% with a value of 4, or 35% with a value of 8, and so on, should that become necessary in the future.
FRISKIE

Re: Release today

Post by FRISKIE » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:20 am

Definitely worth the potential disruption, good luck guys!
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 am

delayed 2fa again?
frphm

Post by frphm » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:58 am

What's the timeline for restricting new miner connections? I just dropped a significant amount of money on hardware that should go online in September, and I want to know if I'll be able to point them here.
tmopar

Post by tmopar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:24 am

frphm wrote:What's the timeline for restricting new miner connections? I just dropped a significant amount of money on hardware that should go online in September, and I want to know if I'll be able to point them here.

I second this concern because I am going to be moving in a few months and so I expect my ip address to radically chance.

For the record are you doing our current ip /16 or are you filtering for specific ips?
mrgoldy

Post by mrgoldy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm on a VPN that changes, and sometimes I don't use it. Not sure how that could affect me if you filter by IP
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:38 pm

frphm wrote:What's the timeline for restricting new miner connections? I just dropped a significant amount of money on hardware that should go online in September, and I want to know if I'll be able to point them here.
If this happens, we will restrict new accounts, rather than new connections on existing accounts, so this won't affect you. But I would hope that by September, we have more than enough capacity to make this unnecessary.

This would only be a temporary solution. The reason why is that if we restrict accounts and we remain the highest paying pool, then accounts will begin to obtain value because they are rare. Accounts will rise in value proportional to the earnings differential to competitors, and because an account would have a set price but doesn't limit hashrate, they will eventually be sold to even bigger miners who can afford to invest more, meaning that we didn't actually solve the capacity problem.

We don't want accounts to be valuable.
FRISKIE

Post by FRISKIE » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:50 pm

As counter-intuitive as that statement sounds, it still makes perfect sense :)
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:52 pm

FRISKIE wrote:
As counter-intuitive as that statement sounds, it still makes perfect sense :)
totally dependant on context of how you read it. he means they don't want it like a WoW account where the account becomes valuable because whats connected to it.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:30 pm

This release has been delayed because Chris has been unable to get his development environment configured to be able to build the code. It worked during his testing last night, but now he's getting Groovy Grails Tools Suite "unable to create credentials" errors on two separate computers, even after reinstalling.

He's going to need to troubleshoot this problem so that he can build the code to deploy it. It's already too late to release this afternoon even if he fixes it now, so he will continue, and will release if he fixes it before midnight; otherwise, he'll continue the environment troubleshooting into tomorrow.