Forcing activation of SegWit on Litecoin

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
vinylwasp

Re: Forcing activation of SegWit on Litecoin

Post by vinylwasp » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:27 am

excelerator wrote:
EHS = Ethical Hacking Service. First clue there's a problem with this company.

I first received information about the EHS Miner on 7/21/14. They were talking about 1GH machines then with 3GH upgrades coming. I won't bore you with the ongoing drivel.

They went completely silent from my inbox after 11/16/15. They popped up again January 4th and again March 14th of 2017. They now have a nearly 3 year history of non-delivery - no reason to believe they'll change anytime soon.

You really should take the time to read the site - there's great material there.

For example

"Our state-of-the-art design methodologies and advanced architectures enable us to deliver a Dogecoin & Litecoin [Scrypt & Scrypt-N Algorithms] mining solutions with the highest performance."

Purchase Orders - Free of Charge!!
https://www.ehsminer.com/purchase-order-free-charge/
I'm a 20 year veteran of the security industry so the name was not much of a red flag for me.
I watched the video, did a little survey of LinkedIn etc and think that they may actually be for real, but what's not 'for real' is a.) the price for the current miners and b.) expecting people to pre-buy from a complete unknown.

They've recently said that they're developing a new type of memory for memory heavy algo's like Equihash which will enable them to produce miners for these algorithms much cheaper (beating the chinese, they say). This is in addition to their classic ASIC architecture scrypt miner which they show in the video (the 2 core board in the video is using an FPGA).

I'd say they're worth watching but if they have developed some unique IP, they'll need VC or some other cash injection to get them out of design and into non emulation prototyping. Trying to sell 5000 pre-buy miners isn't the way to do this.

As far as the website goes, it looks like bits have been written and not maintained since 2014, which I suppose is fair if all the teams efforts are focused on design at the moment. My guess is that they're running out of money, probably been using their own.

If it's a scam, it's a very elaborate one.
jstefanop

Post by jstefanop » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:27 am

vinylwasp wrote:Antpool.Com
BTC : 633.14 PH/s
LTC : 113.30 GH/s = Peanuts?
ETH : 0.00 H/s
ZEC : 1.07 MSol/s

LTC.top is their disguise pool when they pull shit like this, they obviously cant put all the hashpower of customers withheld miners on antpool, so they put it on ltc.top and ltc1btc, both pools are essentially owned by Bitmain. Both those pools went from about 1-2% and 10% to 10% and 20% overnight.
vinylwasp

Post by vinylwasp » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:11 am

jstefanop wrote:
vinylwasp wrote:Antpool.Com
BTC : 633.14 PH/s
LTC : 113.30 GH/s = Peanuts?
ETH : 0.00 H/s
ZEC : 1.07 MSol/s
LTC.top is their disguise pool when they pull shit like this, they obviously cant put all the hashpower of customers withheld miners on antpool, so they put it on ltc.top and ltc1btc, both pools are essentially owned by Bitmain. Both those pools went from about 1-2% and 10% to 10% and 20% overnight.
Ok, that makes sense then. Thanks.
On pushing segwit over the line, I thought it had to hit 75% and then maintain >75% for the whole 2 week period after it was activated?
vinylwasp

Post by vinylwasp » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:40 am

jstefanop wrote:If you guys are serious about this it must be done in the next 24 hours. Segwit signal is currently at 71%. You guys are already starting to feel your profits drop due to this, so time for action is now.

If we can coordinate, and you guys push all your hashpower to LTC I will push an additional 100GH while rent prices are low, a combined 300GH would push segwit to over 80%, and if we can sustain for a few days is all that would be needed to activate.
Once segwit is activated, my understanding is that you've got to maintain >75% of blocks signalling segwit within the whole activation period, so I think you'll need to rent those miners for longer if you want this strategy to succeed.

https://i.redd.it/7tdlf93mc6ry.png
jjunkie

Post by jjunkie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:26 am

The only issue with renting hash is how do you know youre pulling it from the non-segwit side or from other coins? If you rent 100GH/s and redirect it from another LTC segwit pool then all you did was waste money and not help segwit activation at all. Its a noble gesture but unless you know for a fact that the hash you rent isnt currently on the LTC segwit side, its a pretty steep gamble.
excelerator

Post by excelerator » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:27 am

vinylwasp wrote:
jstefanop wrote:If you guys are serious about this it must be done in the next 24 hours. Segwit signal is currently at 71%. You guys are already starting to feel your profits drop due to this, so time for action is now.

If we can coordinate, and you guys push all your hashpower to LTC I will push an additional 100GH while rent prices are low, a combined 300GH would push segwit to over 80%, and if we can sustain for a few days is all that would be needed to activate.
Once segwit is activated, my understanding is that you've got to maintain >75% of blocks signalling segwit within the whole activation period, so I think you'll need to rent those miners for longer if you want this strategy to succeed.

https://i.redd.it/7tdlf93mc6ry.png
We also have some new data for a future push - we can assume that nearly all new hash rate has been B1 L3+s and it would have peaked at about 1,900 new units. I can't see them holding on to B2 units which are supposed to start shipping May 5. We may have a window where they are forced to ship B1 units and they can't keep claiming software flaws for an infinite period of time. However, it's as likely they will ship B2 units to B1 customers and just hold B1 units and delay B2 customers. Tough to see that for B3 with a July ship date. Maybe our window comes in late May?

When does the SegWit signalling period actually end - ie the opportunity expires permanently?
jinxorbit

Post by jinxorbit » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 am

So... I am reading about Bitmain's ASICboost being incompatible with SegWit. Could all of those hot new 500 Mh/s L3's be bricks if SegWit goes live? Does ASICboost only work with SHA256 or is it active on the L3's for Scrypt too?
jjunkie

Post by jjunkie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:49 pm

jinxorbit wrote:So... I am reading about Bitmain's ASICboost being incompatible with SegWit. Could all of those hot new 500 Mh/s L3's be bricks if SegWit goes live? Does ASICboost only work with SHA256 or is it active on the L3's for Scrypt too?
Ive heard that only the units that Bitmain keeps for themselves has ASICBoost (possibly enabled via code in the software miner) but I guess only Bitmain knows for sure.

Are there ANY coins out at the moment who are currently running segwit? Couldnt someone with Bitmain hardware point to that coin and see if it mines as it should?
excelerator

Post by excelerator » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:30 pm

jinxorbit wrote:So... I am reading about Bitmain's ASICboost being incompatible with SegWit. Could all of those hot new 500 Mh/s L3's be bricks if SegWit goes live? Does ASICboost only work with SHA256 or is it active on the L3's for Scrypt too?
That would make sense that Bitmain would have a "software flaw" that's delaying shipments if SegWit makes L3+s bricks.
jstefanop

Post by jstefanop » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:11 pm

jjunkie wrote:
Ive heard that only the units that Bitmain keeps for themselves has ASICBoost (possibly enabled via code in the software miner) but I guess only Bitmain knows for sure.

Are there ANY coins out at the moment who are currently running segwit? Couldnt someone with Bitmain hardware point to that coin and see if it mines as it should?
The mining portion of segwit does not change, its just a different set of data (but same hash/data structure) what is different is how the nodes treat the data. ASIC BOOST just takes advantage of non-segwit block data. Either way there is no reason the miners would not work once segwit is enabled.