Elimination of REST interfaces with X11 mining - comments requested

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Elimination of REST interfaces with X11 mining - comments requested

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 am

Good morning!

When we release X11 mining and move to the new multiple algorithms server, we plan to eliminate features that are rarely used, to reduce the maintenance requirements on the system and improve reliability of other features.

One of the outdated parts of the system that we were considering eliminating is the REST API. The website no longer uses REST calls for any of those functions. All of the REST calls, like api/instantProfitability, can be better handled using WAMP, which will allow users to subscribe to live data. Some WAMP calls are already listed on the site, and others are undocumented.

Our current plan, provided there is no opposition, is to eliminate all REST endpoints in mid-March, when we complete deployment of the new system. All of the data currently available through REST will be made available through WAMP. WAMP provides subscription-based and function-based access to this data. The workflow is that a program calls a function to get current data upon startup, and then subscribes to the channel to obtain real-time data afterward.

WAMP is better than REST. It uses significantly less bandwidth and CPU power on both ends. It sends data immediately when it is available, usually within 50ms. The current REST data can take up to 90s to be cached and it is impossible to know when it is changed. Since WAMP is used by our website, the same functions can be used by both users and us, making bugs immediately apparent. REST currently requires us to devote time to testing endpoints that are not used elsewhere.

If you are using the REST API, we may consider retaining it, either temporarily or permanently, if you have software dependent on it that cannot be upgraded. Please notify us by February 24 if you do not want us to remove the REST API in favor of WAMP. If we don't receive any notifications, we'll move forward with this plan on the weekend of February 25-26.
cyberjay

Re: Elimination of REST interfaces with X11 mining - comments requested

Post by cyberjay » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Steve/Chris,

Is there any chance you, or anyone else could provide a WAMP code example for Python that does the same as the javascript api code on the help page?

I am writing a Python script to log miner profitablity and was planning on using a simple requests get call to https://prohashing.com/exchange/instantProfitability and process the json data.

I'm a competent but not expert coder and if there is something new I need to implement then a bit of Googling and trial and error will usually get me up to speed.

However, I admit failure with this WAMP stuff in Python, if I try and understand any more of the examples and documentation for Autobahn, Twisted, Crossbar.io, Async.io etc. I'll be looking for the nearest cliff to jump from :P

Thanks in advance!