Possible uses for older GPUs

A forum to discuss mining algorithms, the best coins to mine with each, the algorithms that work the best with specific rigs, etc.
Forum rules
The Mining Algorithms forum is a place to discuss topics dealing with mining algorithms, the best coins to mine with each, the algorithms that work best with specific rigs, etc.

(For connectivity questions related to PROHASHING, please see Mining Rig and Connectivity Support.)

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
bdm8181

Possible uses for older GPUs

Post by bdm8181 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:17 pm

Earlier today i was given several zotac geforce 750 ti each one is 2g though, what/ IF even possible what coukd i mine with these, i played around and can get it to work on ethash-low memory however im geing like 800 khs at bes, tried monero but just was slow really slow, if not for actual mining would there be any other uses? Pool maintenance or whatever? Id hate to see then go to waste
bMeister1

Re: Possible uses for older GPUs

Post by bMeister1 » Mon May 02, 2022 8:25 pm

I would love to see either mining software or some kind of proxy program that could use multiple GPUs on a single share job, similar to SLI or Crossfire but for hashing power. That way you could have a system that gets a few MH/s instead of several barely choking out 0.8MH/s. Such a program would be a boon for large-scale CPU mining too.
bdm8181

Post by bdm8181 » Sat May 14, 2022 12:52 am

bMeister1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:25 pm I would love to see either mining software or some kind of proxy program that could use multiple GPUs on a single share job, similar to SLI or Crossfire but for hashing power. That way you could have a system that gets a few MH/s instead of several barely choking out 0.8MH/s. Such a program would be a boon for large-scale CPU mining too.

Thatd be awesome! I can barely use 1 on etchash-lownemory and it is literally lowmemory lmao you think i could incorp the the cards/mobos some how? I have 6 a8n32-sli deluxe "Mobos" as well id love to utilize however theyre all ddr1 RAM, max is 4gb on non eec, im a bit of a newbie when it comes to mining aspect, i understand OCing undervolt/over volt and how all the systems work just not how to apply what to which to which what to get max performance if that makes sense...?
TechElucidation

Post by TechElucidation » Sat May 14, 2022 6:42 am

Yesterday (May 12th) some GPU miners did a test migration moving their rigs off of Ethereum to see how things might change once the Merge happens. I doubt that enough people switched to see anything significant on the networks, but who knows.

For me, it was an opportunity/excuse to see what I personally would do, and I chose to switch to Kawpow for the day. I just finished writing my initial reactions in the ProHashing GPU-Mining discord channel.

The basic feedback I can provide was on the older card (2060) the efficiency to run newer algos like Kawpow was just not there. On the single card the electric cost went up $0.27 for the day, while earnings went down $0.14. I simply could not (under current conditions) get that card to be profitable to run.

I also have some 3060 TI's, and while the overall profitability of them was able to remain above water on Kawpow, the total profit per day dropped from $8.98 (two days before) to only $1.93 under Kawpow - but at least they were still making money.

So I don't know that (for mining) older cards can have a future of any kind. Even trying to bridge them, if the underlying power is not efficient enough to be profitable, it won't help. Unless you have no expenses to run a rig (free electricity, cooling, internet, etc.) then you have to consider the efficiency of cards - and if it is free, then even making 0.8MH/s is 100% profit so may as well run it at that level.

This post, and my tests, inspired me to start writing a post about profitability post merge, that I will put up later today.