Power limit on mobile GPU

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Banished_Privateer

Power limit on mobile GPU

Post by Banished_Privateer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:07 am

Just really curious if any of you know if I can power limit my 1660Ti (mobile), since there's no option for that in MSI Afterburner... I've noticed while running other stuff that my mining hashrate stays the same and with 25W reduction the temps are much lower (10-15C degrees) and fans are running slower too. I would really appreciate the help from you guys!

PS I power limit my PC and it works charms so I know how to technically do it, just not sure how to do that on mobile units of Nvidia.
-MaVerick-

Re: Power limit on mobile GPU

Post by -MaVerick- » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:30 am

If you are using Gminer did you also try setting the powerlimit via the bat file? --pl 70 for 70% for example, the outcome is the same as with using Afterburner.
Banished_Privateer

Post by Banished_Privateer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:51 am

I'm using this soft, since it has 0 fees and was created by the guy that made ethminer:

https://github.com/no-fee-ethereum-mining/nsfminer

I don't think there's option for that:

https://github.com/no-fee-ethereum-mini ... Options.md
-MaVerick-

Post by -MaVerick- » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:18 pm

Using the command line for OC/UC is much less of a hussle as with using Afterburner, especially if the card reacts less optimal if the mining software restarts and OC is applied before creating the DAG. 0,65% Fee wouldn't kill your profil now, would it? ;)

I wonder why it will not work with Afterburner though, is the option greyed out?
Sumoblei

Post by Sumoblei » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:22 pm

-MaVerick- wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:18 pm Using the command line for OC/UC is much less of a hussle as with using Afterburner, especially if the card reacts less optimal if the mining software restarts and OC is applied before creating the DAG. 0,65% Fee wouldn't kill your profil now, would it? ;)

I wonder why it will not work with Afterburner though, is the option greyed out?
So whats the difference between oc before and after DAG?/
-MaVerick-

Post by -MaVerick- » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:25 pm

If your OC is hard on the limit of what the card can do, you may get those flashy red errors when trying to create the DAG. So if you use Afterburner, the card is on full OC all the time, even if the miner happens to restart for whatever reason. If that happens, the DAG gets generated once more and the errors could occur.

If you use the command line, you only need the miner, no other programms. So thats a plus. Also the OC gets applied automaticaly after DAG generation, so sudden restarts dont matter.
Banished_Privateer

Post by Banished_Privateer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:41 pm

-MaVerick- wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:18 pm Using the command line for OC/UC is much less of a hussle as with using Afterburner, especially if the card reacts less optimal if the mining software restarts and OC is applied before creating the DAG. 0,65% Fee wouldn't kill your profil now, would it? ;)

On mobile GPUs it's greyed out, works fine on desktop versions. No idea why...

PS I don't use OC, if anything I would underclock my card. nsfminer has been working fine for me with my settings, I had phoenix and tried other before. Might change it since it hasn't been updated recently but I will still try to work with it for now and find other solution. Power limit might be helpful for me not just for mining, so I'm still curious on that.
-MaVerick-

Post by -MaVerick- » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:24 pm

Banished_Privateer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:41 pm On mobile GPUs it's greyed out, works fine on desktop versions. No idea why...
It could be a driver issue if some google hits are correct. Which version are you on?
Banished_Privateer

Post by Banished_Privateer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:10 pm

-MaVerick- wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:24 pm
Banished_Privateer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:41 pm On mobile GPUs it's greyed out, works fine on desktop versions. No idea why...
It could be a driver issue if some google hits are correct. Which version are you on?
MSI latest Beta 4 and Nvidia latest 496.76. I always keep all my stuff updated.
Mastermind007

Post by Mastermind007 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:18 am

I have an new Dell that has its 3060 power locked. Seems this is locked in the BIOS. I am sure there is a way to unlock it but I have not looked into it. I would imagine it will require a similar process I performed to unlocking the CPU voltages so I could undervolt it to reduce heat. That is a complex process involving a couple of apps to fine the current values and their offsets and then booting in a grub efi terminal to set specific BIOS hex values. It is risky but most modern systems have a backup BIOS you can fall back to and then flash the broken one.