Building a casemodded mining PC (image heavy)

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
-MaVerick-

Building a casemodded mining PC (image heavy)

Post by -MaVerick- » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:11 pm

Hello my dearest Prohashing users,

recently I upgraded my PC with a Ryzen 9, RAM, Mainboard, PSU, you name it. Comming from an Intel Xeon it was pretty much everything. So, what to do with those spare parts? Usually they collect dust in some dark corner, but now with me interested in mining and also wanting to outsource stuff from the gaming PCs of my wife and me, why not do something a little different. This zombie will have exactly 2 jobs, streaming our fishtank for half a day almost daily and making money with 2 1060 6GB doing their thing. Btw, if you like fish and chilltastic music, I'd be happy if you take a look: https://www.twitch.tv/GermanShrimpZ

Via ebay marketplace I grabbed a cheap kitchen cabinet with enough space to fit a PC in, also ordered 3x 200mm fans to get the air flowing from front to rear and an HDD with 500GB. From China I got enough dust protection to cover the whole back and whats needed to be covered at the front. Took 2 weeks to get here, but apparently we Europeans don't produce stuff like that, at least not in the size I needed. But enough words, take a look at the making of the zombie:

IT'S ALIVE! Temps of the 1060s are 55°C & 65°C steady after 5 hours of test now - which is pretty much the same as before in a normal PC case. Both are at 23,4MH/s with core +200, mem +600, PL 70% and fans at 80% using gminer 2.70.

The only thing that's not working right now is streaming with OBS. I need a dummy for that so Windows thinks theres a screen attached, pretty much the same as you would need to mine with a 3060 rev1. That should arrive tomorrow and after a few more test the zombie will get his place in our kitchen, also helping to keep it warm in winter.

Don't mind our makeshift and cat-save christmas tree btw, we're a little late getting it off, or a little early getting it on, depending on the view.

So my fellow mining addicts, what do you think? I had a lot of fun building it!
Sumoblei

Re: Building a casemodded mining PC (image heavy)

Post by Sumoblei » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:20 pm

Sweet! Have you considered wrapping the inside with some type of heat reflective material?.... like silver bubble wrap, air is a great dissipater and the reflective material would prevent the cabinet itself from heating... a friend of mine made something similar and the cabinet was barely ever warm. Kudos for the engineering :)... new heater for the kitchen lol

ps I believe he used one of those windshield blinders you use in the summer for your car. :idea:
-MaVerick-

Post by -MaVerick- » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Sumoblei wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:20 pm Sweet! Have you considered wrapping the inside with some type of heat reflective material?.... like silver bubble wrap, air is a great dissipater and the reflective material would prevent the cabinet itself from heating... a friend of mine made something similar and the cabinet was barely ever warm. Kudos for the engineering :)... new heater for the kitchen lol

ps I believe he used one of those windshield blinders you use in the summer for your car. :idea:
I don't think or at least hope that it's not nessessary to put any more material inside to work with the heat, but I'll keep an eye on how things are going. Thx for the advice ;)

Also, yeah, you're right. Those car windshield sunblockers should have worked, too. Haven't thought of that :lol: But China stuff is so damn cheap and I got so much of it left that I can even use it on my PC to cover up some ummm dust dangers.
Mastermind007

Post by Mastermind007 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Nice repurpose of the cabinet. As for heat I think you have a nice amount of air flow with the one side having the screen material on it. Not to mention is cold weather you have a stylish heater :lol:
-MaVerick-

Post by -MaVerick- » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:45 pm

The miningslavezombie now reached his final destination. With the HDMI dummy I can finally change that eye-hurting resolution, but OBS still don't wanna work. This seems to be a Teamviewer issue according to the voices of the internet, so I'll try windows remote stuff later. In case any of you got some advice for teamviewer and OBS, I'm all ears.
-MaVerick-

Post by -MaVerick- » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:31 am

Got a little creative there :D

Since the last post the zombie was working constantly. Temps were getting a little higher after a few days, so more fresh air was needed. I'm thinking about putting some LED inside, just for a nice effect. To get some more life out of the GPU fans I'm currently trying to let them run on auto to a certain degree.

(gminer 2.70)
miner.exe --algo ethash --pl 70 70 --cclock 200 200 --mclock 600 600 --tfan 70 60 --tfan_min 60 -s --server prohashing.com:3339 --user x --pass a=ethash,n=GPU1060s,o=Sklave

Instead of 80% all the time they now run at 60-65% with target Temp @ 60°C for the lower and 70°C for the upper card, which also gets the heat from the lower one, so temps are generally a bit higher. With a little optimisation 2-3°C less should also be possible without stressing the fans too much.

Oh and btw, If you ever want to set up a stream without a display attached, use Windows Remote. Teamviewer isn't made for stuff like that it seems.
erinnapizzuti

Post by erinnapizzuti » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:07 am

How do you do it all? I wouldn't be able to put the computer back together again. It seems to me that in a week it will be dusty. The last time I saw so many PC parts were at salvagedata.com when I needed to recover data I had deleted by mistake. But there, is a different atmosphere, they have special packages and boxes for each of the parts. But you have a great idea to equip the cabinet with a PC processor, I wouldn't have thought of that. My computer has been resting in Tuscany for over 2 years, while I travel with my laptop. I don't think I'd have the patience to clean and reinstall all the parts.
Last edited by erinnapizzuti on Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MaVerick-

Post by -MaVerick- » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:18 am

erinnapizzuti wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:07 am How do you do it all? I wouldn't be able to put the computer back together again.
I grew up with my head in a PC case ;)
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:57 pm

-MaVerick- wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:18 am
erinnapizzuti wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:07 am How do you do it all? I wouldn't be able to put the computer back together again.
I grew up with my head in a PC case ;)
Love it! I just built my first PC (with A LOT of help from Chris) for PROHASHING, and I'm marveling at how you used a cabinet as a case.
-MaVerick-

Post by -MaVerick- » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:21 pm

Sarah Manter wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:57 pm I just built my first PC (with A LOT of help from Chris) for PROHASHING
Congratulations! Now you can always point at your PC and say "I did that!". Good feeling if you ask me ;) But don't get sucked into the role of the tech family member. No amount of cookies can make up for that.