T-Rex or PheonixMiner

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Mastermind007

T-Rex or PheonixMiner

Post by Mastermind007 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:25 am

I have tested both T-Rex v0.21.6 and PheonixMiner 5.7b and so far can not see were one really out preforms the other.
I want to see what the community thought about the two or is there any even better ETC miner available?

Running older GTX 1065 4gb cards which I know is a limiting factor. Using the 471.96 drivers (latest as of this posting)
Use the basic pass arguments of all testing "-p a=etchash,n=Rig02-02,o=MyGroup"

Thanks for any insight.
-MaVerick-

Re: T-Rex or PheonixMiner

Post by -MaVerick- » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:14 am

If you don't already do that, I suggest keeping an eye on https://www.reddit.com/r/gpumining/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/ as mining software is quite often discussed there. The last time I saw a post about those 2 miners it was pretty much even in performance, so it's really just a choice of taste I guess.
bMeister1

Post by bMeister1 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:34 pm

I have heard they are pretty even as well. I personally use Gminer as that was the program Prohashing recommended in their GPU quick start guide and I liked it enough that I didn't feel a need to experiment with GPU miners (CPU mining is another story entirely). It supports a bunch of different algorithms which let me easily experiment with which algorithms best suited the cards I had. That's how I figured out my 1050Ti does best on ETC and the 970s did best on Equihash-144_5. It is my understanding from the research I have done that most reputable programs are roughly equal in terms of performance. It mainly comes down to how easy they are to use, how many features they support, and how stable they are under various circumstances. One feature of Gminer I really like is it comes with a "watchdog" program that monitors the Gminer process so in the event of a crash it automatically restarts without needing human intervention. This also often works when a overclocked GPU has an issue and does something like read an illegal memory address that requires a restart of the mining program.
-MaVerick-

Post by -MaVerick- » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:12 pm

If it wasn't for that 3060 I would use Gminer for both GPU, 0,65% dev fee on Eth is quite low and it's overall easy to handle and understand. Right now I'm testing the newest version of NBminer to compare the unlocker with miniZ. Sadly the development came to a crawl with miniZ since the last beta and communication sort of stopped. Dunno whats up there. NBminer looks promising though.
Mastermind007

Post by Mastermind007 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:17 am

I used NBMiner but it was some time ago. I am not sure what updates and improvements have been done recently.
I would be interested in your findings.

As for T-Rex and PheonixMiner, after testing both for 12 hours each, they perform the same, at least on older Nvidia (GTX 1065) cards.
The dev fee would be the only tie-breaker with PheonixMiner having the lower .65% fee for etchash vs 1% from T-Rex.
DBO

Post by DBO » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:25 am

Hey guys can you help me with config on PheonixMiner? Im using Gminer now but wanna try Pheonix to see if I can get a higher hashrate and some temp bios mods when mining.

I have 2 GPU in my gaming PC

1- RX580 8gb
2- RX 550 4gb

Im trying to set it up so they RX580 is mining eth and the RX550 is mining eth classic. I figured this out on Gminer but having issues with the coding on PheonixMiner. In Gminer code I have it set to run a specific GPU in each setup.

Thanks for helping out a newb