GPU Rigs...whaddya got/

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Sumoblei

GPU Rigs...whaddya got/

Post by Sumoblei » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:41 pm

I'm new at this and learn more every day, but yet not enough lol
I'm using all AMD cpu and gpu for a total of 250 mh/s on eth, using Gminer and Bittrex.
The biggest question I have is what to mine with this low of hashrates, of course I'm mining eth but I'm wondering is any of the other algos here are profitable for a small rig as this and if any of the proswitching algos would be feesable for gpu mining.... let's hear it, whaddya got! :?: ...what's the best iyho for mining;; gminer, nicehash etc.

Sumo
bMeister1

Re: GPU Rigs...whaddya got/

Post by bMeister1 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 am

If you're putting out 250MH/s with just AMD GPUs on Ethash, that's nothing to sneeze at! I have some older nVidia GPUs; A GTX1050Ti whose best result is 13.5 MH/s on Etchash (not enough VRAM for Ethash unfortunately) and an AMD Sapphire R9 380 doing 18.3 MH/s on Etchash. I'm also hosting a pair of even older GTX970s for my brother that can't do much these days but for some reason they can do about 30 Sol/s each on Equihash-144_5. All of those values are also slightly boosted due to overclocking and while using Gminer.

On Prohashing at least, I'd stick with Ethash as none of the other algorithms are gonna be as profitable for now. Etchash will replace Ethash in that regard within a few months with the new update though so keep an eye on that. If you wanna try out some other coins, I'd recommend seeing how your cards do on the KAWPOW algorithm to mine Ravencoin. It's not supported by Prohashing at the moment but I tried it on Flypool where I was paid in RVN and just did my exchanges on Bittrex. I don't have a good sense of profitability but comparing values given by Prohashing and Flypool, my 1050Ti was technically making a little more money per day mining RVN than ETC. To be fair, Ravencoin had just seen a big boost in price at the time so obviously individual results will vary.

Also if you have a Ryzen CPU or a late gen Intel (8th or higher), you can get a half decent amount CPU mining Monero here with XMRig. As of this post, Monero earns $0.065/Kh/day and my Ryzen 7 3700X can do 8.5Kh/s with no overclocking and running a few things in the background.

I figured out what my stuff mines best through a lot of experimentation/trial and error. Don't be afraid to try out all the different algorithms to see what kind of hashrate you get and then compare that rate to the value of that algorithm. If you care about profitability, then keep track of the power draw and factor the cost of electricity in. I noticed my 1050Ti pulls 10w more to do KAWPOW than Etchash, while the GTX970s pull 165w EACH doing literally anything. lol I mine for fun mostly so I care more about the convenience of Prohashing's features which is why I'm not trying to mine KAWPOW and instead joining everyone else passive aggressively making comments about how it needs to get added here. ;)
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 am

I know that a lot of people want KAWPOW to be added here, and it's definitely on the list. As soon as Vance gets Chia mining done, we'll do an analysis as to whether we can make money by offering KAWPOW mining with the aim of either having it released or not in October.
-MaVerick-

Post by -MaVerick- » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:25 am

Ryzen 9 3900X -> RandomX with 11,5kH/s and 85W...lets just say it helps speeding up the payout, but profit-wise it does not help much. Enough for maybe a chocolate bar per month.
Gigabyte 3060 12GB Rev 2 -> Ethash 33-35MH/s with miniZ miner, Nvidia can kiss my rear for brining up that mining lock.
1060 6GB -> sitting pretty in the 2. PCIe doing 23,5MH/s. She's a little touchy when it comes to temperatures, but otherwise very stable

From time to time my better half donates a few hashes with her stock 1060 6GB and about 20-20,5MH/s. This card will get replaced with a 6700/6800XT sometimes in the future and both 1060 6GB will get their own mainboard to sit on, doing work down in the mines all day and all night long for me.
Steve Sokolowski wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 am I know that a lot of people want KAWPOW to be added here, and it's definitely on the list.
Yes please.
Sumoblei

Post by Sumoblei » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:43 am

Well it's time to try NBminer on this new 3080ti, it's seems NB has cracked some of the lhr :P we will see.
I'm having a lot of issues with AMD software crashing using the R7, it's a finiky lil pos lol but good hr.... I have 2 rx 6800 xt's that run smooth as silk around 64 mh/s... along with a 6700,... but there seems to be issues with Afterburner and AMD software, especially with the fan settings on the 6700 and R7... I'll soon dump windows 10 for linux to see if that helps... then when I introduce Nvidia things get all funky//// i'm running 2 pc's with 2 rx 6800 xt, 1 on each mb, with a 6700 on a riser and 1 r7 on a riser respectively.
I then try to add the 3080ti... on mb and riser and I have tried both, but still seems to conflict with AMD software and crashes after several hours, but all in all it's working through the bugs... AMD seems to have an update weekly as of recent lol...I'm using Gminer 2.62... NB miner here I come...bbl with an update!
I'm also running a GTX 1070 FTW on a separate old Pentium, @ 28/35 mh/s I'm impressed with that card :) just mines it's lil butt off.
I can use SSD's to cpu mine correct?... I have 2 to install to use Linux.

p.s. I bought the 3080 ti at retail at a Best Buy drop last Friday! Actually I bought 2 and scalped one to pay for the other :P Thank God for slow chip production lol ROI was 6 hours.
BMChris

Post by BMChris » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:02 pm

CPU - Intel i5 10600K
GPU - Radeon RX580

I get about 30MH/s on average running randomX and Ethash together.
Kaffiend

Post by Kaffiend » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:28 pm

I too am new to mining and trying to learn as much as I can as I go. I started in the middle of May with with a single 1080ti and easyminer. After about a week and only earning like .000001 LTC I figured there had to be a better way. Then ran across nicehash. Used it for about 1 month but still continued my search for knowledge. The extreme ease of use and being able to control when away if very nice but still I wanted more than just being paid in BTC. Fast forward to present day, I'm here at prohashing using Gminer mining ETH and have only switched to nicehhash the couple times prohashing has gone down. I'm working my way up. I have 2 rigs with 8 gpu each plus my desktop with 2 cards. 1080ti, 3070ftw3, 1660 x4, 1660S x6, 2060 x6 all running very stable putting up a modest ~550-580 MH/S. I also mine Monero with the rigs CPU using xmrig. They are intel9 9900k putting up 4-5k kh/s each. Third rig of 8 1660s is in the works, should be up and running in a few more days once the last parts arrive. Should put me at about 800 MH/S.
I'm still thinking of trying awesome miner for the remote access functionality that I think it has since I work 24hr shifts. Could be helpful when I'm away but since they are running very stable on their own it hasn't been a high priority to look into it at all.
I also am considering looking into purchasing some LHR gpu and trying out NBminer as well. As much as I hate the idea of giving in Nvidia's LHR movement it looks like there is potential for a decent profit still.
Kaffiend

Post by Kaffiend » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:31 pm

I plan to continue to mine ETH here until it goes POS then assume I will be changing to ETC unless something better comes along. Interested to see if prohashing can deliver on RVN/Kawpow and what the profits could be on that.
Sumoblei

Post by Sumoblei » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:42 pm

Kaffiend wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:28 pm I too am new to mining and trying to learn as much as I can as I go. I started in the middle of May with with a single 1080ti and easyminer. After about a week and only earning like .000001 LTC I figured there had to be a better way. Then ran across nicehash. Used it for about 1 month but still continued my search for knowledge. The extreme ease of use and being able to control when away if very nice but still I wanted more than just being paid in BTC. Fast forward to present day, I'm here at prohashing using Gminer mining ETH and have only switched to nicehhash the couple times prohashing has gone down. I'm working my way up. I have 2 rigs with 8 gpu each plus my desktop with 2 cards. 1080ti, 3070ftw3, 1660 x4, 1660S x6, 2060 x6 all running very stable putting up a modest ~550-580 MH/S. I also mine Monero with the rigs CPU using xmrig. They are intel9 9900k putting up 4-5k kh/s each. Third rig of 8 1660s is in the works, should be up and running in a few more days once the last parts arrive. Should put me at about 800 MH/S.
I'm still thinking of trying awesome miner for the remote access functionality that I think it has since I work 24hr shifts. Could be helpful when I'm away but since they are running very stable on their own it hasn't been a high priority to look into it at all.
I also am considering looking into purchasing some LHR gpu and trying out NBminer as well. As much as I hate the idea of giving in Nvidia's LHR movement it looks like there is potential for a decent profit still.
Wow! So far you are the GPU Master here @ Prohashing! Nice rigs you have, I'm sure your experience will be very helpful to us n00Bz :)
bMeister1

Post by bMeister1 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:12 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 am I know that a lot of people want KAWPOW to be added here, and it's definitely on the list. As soon as Vance gets Chia mining done, we'll do an analysis as to whether we can make money by offering KAWPOW mining with the aim of either having it released or not in October.
That would be phenomenal! I know you guys have a lot to do just keeping this place alive let alone expanding into new features so I'm happy to continue mining away on ETC and making fun of the constant requests for KAWPOW in the meantime. lol I don't know if this has already been done, but a poll asking people something quantifiable like "If the KAWPOW algorithm was added, would you point at least "X" MH/s to it?" might help get some hard numbers for your analysis.
-MaVerick- wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:25 am Ryzen 9 3900X -> RandomX with 11,5kH/s and 85W...lets just say it helps speeding up the payout, but profit-wise it does not help much. Enough for maybe a chocolate bar per month.
Gigabyte 3060 12GB Rev 2 -> Ethash 33-35MH/s with miniZ miner, Nvidia can kiss my rear for brining up that mining lock.
1060 6GB -> sitting pretty in the 2. PCIe doing 23,5MH/s. She's a little touchy when it comes to temperatures, but otherwise very stable

From time to time my better half donates a few hashes with her stock 1060 6GB and about 20-20,5MH/s. This card will get replaced with a 6700/6800XT sometimes in the future and both 1060 6GB will get their own mainboard to sit on, doing work down in the mines all day and all night long for me.
Out of curiosity, how have the 1060s performed over time besides the heat issue? I really need to get something better than my 1050Ti (both for mining and some moderate gaming) and want to get something that can do ETH, so I'm trying to decide if it would be better to get an 10-series card or hold out for more price drops on a 20-series card.