Setting up a Gridseed 5-Chip Orb GC3355

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
wordbuilder

Setting up a Gridseed 5-Chip Orb GC3355

Post by wordbuilder » Tue May 18, 2021 10:15 pm

I'm new to mining and bought a Gridseed 5-Chip Orb GC3355 just to play around with, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong.

I'm using CPUMiner on Windows 10. Is this even the best miner software? If not, what is?

The bat looks like this: minerd.exe --freq=850 --gc3355-detect --url=stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333 --userpass=[myusername]

I can see the worker on my dashboard as a seemingly random set of characters (e.g., 149da6fc-6ae6-46eb-ba3f-c7c5fa483ce1). The algorithm is Scyrpt and the coin changes (was Verge a few minutes ago, is now Litecoin). However, I'm not getting any shares, even after running it for several hours.

Perhaps the difficulty is too high? It says it's dynamic but seems to stay at 131,072. (By way of comparison, one of my PCs running XMRig is at 32,768). How can I set a lower difficulty? I'd rather see smaller shares more often than larger shares very infrequently.

Finally, can I set the name of the worker like I can in XMRig?

UPDATE: After about 20 hours, it did finally turn up 1 share, so I know it's working. The difficultly dynamically reduced to 65,536. However, I still have these questions:

1. Is CPUMiner the best software to use for this? If not, what is?
2. Can I manually adjust to a lower difficulty?
3. Can I assign the worker a name?
4. Also, can I set the algorithm to RandomX instead of Scrypt?
romes

Re: Setting up a Gridseed 5-Chip Orb GC3355

Post by romes » Wed May 19, 2021 5:08 pm

Add d=1024 to your userpass..

So in your instance would be

--userpass=yourusername:d=1024

As far as miner. I am not sure which miner is best to use, I haven't tried running my gridseeds in a while to know what the last best miner was or what the best would be to use today. cpuminer should work though just fine for scrypt
romes

Post by romes » Wed May 19, 2021 5:14 pm

http://bfgminer.org/ will also work
wordbuilder

Post by wordbuilder » Wed May 19, 2021 6:44 pm

romes wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:08 pm Add d=1024 to your userpass..

I gave that a whirl and it still uses 131,072 as the difficulty level. It's like it ignores everything except url= and userpass=.

I do appreciate your reply, though.
romes

Post by romes » Wed May 19, 2021 7:18 pm

wordbuilder wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:44 pm
romes wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:08 pm Add d=1024 to your userpass..

I gave that a whirl and it still uses 131,072 as the difficulty level. It's like it ignores everything except url= and userpass=.

I do appreciate your reply, though.
You tried with the pass being after the : in userpass, like user:pass? Hmmm.

Try bfgminer although it will probably want to use different drivers.
romes

Post by romes » Wed May 19, 2021 7:50 pm

wordbuilder wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:15 pm I'm new to mining and bought a Gridseed 5-Chip Orb GC3355 just to play around with, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong.

I'm using CPUMiner on Windows 10. Is this even the best miner software? If not, what is?

The bat looks like this: minerd.exe --freq=850 --gc3355-detect --url=stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333 --userpass=[myusername]

I can see the worker on my dashboard as a seemingly random set of characters (e.g., 149da6fc-6ae6-46eb-ba3f-c7c5fa483ce1). The algorithm is Scyrpt and the coin changes (was Verge a few minutes ago, is now Litecoin). However, I'm not getting any shares, even after running it for several hours.

Perhaps the difficulty is too high? It says it's dynamic but seems to stay at 131,072. (By way of comparison, one of my PCs running XMRig is at 32,768). How can I set a lower difficulty? I'd rather see smaller shares more often than larger shares very infrequently.

Finally, can I set the name of the worker like I can in XMRig?

UPDATE: After about 20 hours, it did finally turn up 1 share, so I know it's working. The difficultly dynamically reduced to 65,536. However, I still have these questions:

1. Is CPUMiner the best software to use for this? If not, what is?
2. Can I manually adjust to a lower difficulty?
3. Can I assign the worker a name?
Try this if you haven't. Just change the myusername to your user and the pass to d=1024

minerd.exe --freq=850 --dual --gc3355-detect --url=stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333 --userpass=myusername:password
No, those chips will only work with scrypt/sha256/both.
wordbuilder

Post by wordbuilder » Wed May 19, 2021 8:05 pm

romes wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:18 pm You tried with the pass being after the : in userpass, like user:pass? Hmmm.
Ah, you had it right. Somewhere in my messing with the bat file, I changed it from userpass to just pass (or to just user, I don't recall which). When I changed it back to userpass, it accepted the difficulty setting.

Thank you for your help with getting this worked out and for answering my question about changing coins as well.
theonlywhit

Post by theonlywhit » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:09 pm

I have 2 gridseed miners and I cannot seem to get either of them to recnize when connected directly to Windows 10 or a Rasberry Pi. Each powers on and blinks green when connected, but i do not see anything on the USB connection. Where should i start.
I have tried CPUMiner, MultiMiner, and CGMiner; most do not open when i attempt to run on Windows 10.
Nicehash does not reconize.