Antminer L3+ ... S9 better ?

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
janjacobs66

Antminer L3+ ... S9 better ?

Post by janjacobs66 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:20 pm

Pardon if I utter rubbish, I'm a total idiot when it comes to mining

I bought the L3+ years ago & a friend helped me to set it up
at the time I paid R73 000 (US $4500) ... ripoff !

anyway, I doubt it if I'm making any profit with it today, I'm actually sure it cost more to run

so the questions is ..
I can get an Antminer S9 for US $350 here in South Africa
is it worth it ? will i be able to show a small profit ?

input would be highly appreciated, as the seller will obviously tell me it would make a ton of money :lol:
robinsoz

Re: Antminer L3+ ... S9 better ?

Post by robinsoz » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:36 pm

You will have a hard time making an Antminer S9 pay if you pay $350 for it. I have bought a few Antminer S9's on Ebay recently for prices ranging from $84 to $89 including shipping.

Truth is, an Antminer S9 is an obsolete miner that will be unlikely to be profitable unless you have a source of very cheap electricity or some other angle. I run them as space heaters to replace electric heat - so the electricity is essentially free - and at a mostly unoccupied remote cabin that has a 3 kilowatt solar system that produces electricity that would otherwise go unused. With free electricity, expect an Antminer S9 to yield in the neighborhood of $2 per day - anything you pay for electricity will decrease your profits - if your electric costs are over 6 cents a killowatt you will be running at a loss.
janjacobs66

Re: Antminer L3+ ... S9 better ?

Post by janjacobs66 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:19 am

Thank you, appreciate the input

so my L3+ is even more useless ? :cry: