Naming argument errors

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
MattNeilon

Naming argument errors

Post by MattNeilon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:47 am

Hi all,

I'm using password arguments a=(algo) n=(workername) for my L3+ machines. I'm getting random errors in the Live Worker Status section saying that the device tried to authenticate with a duplicate naming argument. I've paraphrased the error because it now only shows "."

What I find strange is that after rebooting, the workers will authenticate with the name stipulated but, after some time, return this error or sometimes not authenticate with the stipulated name at all. Is there something I'm missing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Steve Sokolowski

Re: Naming argument errors

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:32 am

MattNeilon wrote:Hi all,

I'm using password arguments a=(algo) n=(workername) for my L3+ machines. I'm getting random errors in the Live Worker Status section saying that the device tried to authenticate with a duplicate naming argument. I've paraphrased the error because it now only shows "."

What I find strange is that after rebooting, the workers will authenticate with the name stipulated but, after some time, return this error or sometimes not authenticate with the stipulated name at all. Is there something I'm missing?

It's possible that network connectivity issues might be causing this problem, either due to the poor Internet connection we currently have or because our CPUs are overloaded. If that's the case, then these issues will be resolved around April 5, when the components we ordered finally arrive.

If there is a bug that's causing this problem, then it will be difficult to resolve until we can rule out these other two possibilities. After both those issues are resolved, we'll be performing a closer investigation to see if there are any software issues that can result in multiple workers.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:52 pm

Matt,

I would try with just the password n=miner.
And each machine needs its own n=miner1, n=miner2, n=miner3 and so on unique for each machine.
If you really are using ( ) parathesis in the password, I would ditch those.

If you restart the miner, there is a chance the old miner called MINER will still be active, so when the miner re-connects, that name MIGHT be in use, if so it assigns the miner a random name 3234234-23421234123-234234-234234234 so it can ID it on the system. Its just naming, you still get paid for the work done. But if you have 20 machines all named randomly and 1 starts to act up, its harder to tell which one is problem to restart it.
mycide

Post by mycide » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:52 pm

U'r mining with L3+ You do not need to have the argument for algorithm a=
Default on PH is scrypt atleast it was yesterday when i still had my rigs here.
So ditch the a= argument completely because you dont need it.
Running rigs: KNC Titan, Antminer D3 & L3+'s
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:40 am

CSZiggy wrote:Matt,

I would try with just the password n=miner.
And each machine needs its own n=miner1, n=miner2, n=miner3 and so on unique for each machine.
If you really are using ( ) parathesis in the password, I would ditch those.

If you restart the miner, there is a chance the old miner called MINER will still be active, so when the miner re-connects, that name MIGHT be in use, if so it assigns the miner a random name 3234234-23421234123-234234-234234234 so it can ID it on the system. Its just naming, you still get paid for the work done. But if you have 20 machines all named randomly and 1 starts to act up, its harder to tell which one is problem to restart it.
If you restart a miner with the same name, the system reassigns the old miner with that name a random UUID, and uses the name for the new miner. I think that's a little different from what CSZiggy understands, or else there is a bug that he discovered.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:51 am

No that is exactly how I understand it, and I did not find any errors.
You retyped the exact same explanation I typed. Not sure what you added or why you replied, but OK.
MattNeilon

Post by MattNeilon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:12 am

Thanks CSZiggy and Steve.

I'm not using any parenthesis in the password. I've tried simplifying the worker names to see if it helps but to no avail. It's really quite random, as I said, sometimes a name that's registered correctly will out of the blue lose it's name and give me the error.

I'll see if it comes right after the equipment arrives.

I'll keep you updated.

Thank again.
MattNeilon

Post by MattNeilon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:08 am

Steve Sokolowski wrote:

It's possible that network connectivity issues might be causing this problem, either due to the poor Internet connection we currently have or because our CPUs are overloaded. If that's the case, then these issues will be resolved around April 5, when the components we ordered finally arrive.

If there is a bug that's causing this problem, then it will be difficult to resolve until we can rule out these other two possibilities. After both those issues are resolved, we'll be performing a closer investigation to see if there are any software issues that can result in multiple workers.
Hi Steve,

I'm back. I'm still experiencing the same issues with random naming argument errors.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:26 am

Are you changing settings or restarting the machines?

Are the machines connected directly into the pool or going through a mining/rental service first?

Are the L3+ using their GUI to connect to the pool or are you using some software program to manage them?

Which firmware version is the L3+ running, is it bitmain or something else? Is the machine OCed?

Where do your 3 pools connect to? If 2 of them are going to prohashing, then as 1 goes into error it reconnects and that's why the miner names are already in use.
alim

Post by alim » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:47 am

In an attempt to be helpful,

1. Try the following password arguments first

n=ltc101 scan-time=7 expiry=28

Why: When I specify a=scrypt I had problems connecting. As someone else has mentioned, there is no need to specify the algo IF all your miners are scrypt (I've had difficulty connected a mixed base).

2. If you have a mixed set of miner algos, simply set up a "Scrypt only" id and point your miners to it.

It gets the job done, though not as elegant -
Yes you can pay to the same wallet addresses.
No, there is no efficiency in having more than one account other than if SHA is up and LTC is down, you can dither over whether to buy the BTC or maximise your purchase of LTC.