Cheap Knock-Off GPUs, any experience with them?

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
slim6y

Cheap Knock-Off GPUs, any experience with them?

Post by slim6y » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:54 am

Hello,

I believe I already know the answer, but without biasing, has anyone actually used the cheap knock off nVidia cards from eBay and Wish?

Obviously they are not 1050s but do they perform at any rate that could be considered profitable?
Aura89

Re: Cheap Knock-Off GPUs, any experience with them?

Post by Aura89 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:02 pm

slim6y wrote:Hello,

I believe I already know the answer, but without biasing, has anyone actually used the cheap knock off nVidia cards from eBay and Wish?

Obviously they are not 1050s but do they perform at any rate that could be considered profitable?
...what?

What "knock offs" are you talking about?

GPUs are quite the complex items, plus, driver support to even make them work.

I literally can not fathom a "knock off" of a GPU to even work, and be anything other then a brick.

But i have also never seen a listing for a knock off
slim6y

Post by slim6y » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Aura89 wrote:

...what?

I literally can not fathom a "knock off" of a GPU to even work, and be anything other then a brick.

Oh, I am not arguing whether or not they could be anything other than a brick, I just want to know if anyone has ever had any experience and was it worth it? They clearly do work as graphics cards, but I think they are just re-BIOS'd and sold as something they're not.

Eg https://www.ebay.com/itm/1GB-2GB-4GB-GT ... 1438.l2649.
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:31 pm

slim6y wrote:
Aura89 wrote:

...what?

Oh, I am not arguing whether or not they could be anything other than a brick, I just want to know if anyone has ever had any experience and was it worth it? They clearly do work as graphics cards, but I think they are just re-BIOS'd and sold as something they're not.

Eg https://www.ebay.com/itm/1GB-2GB-4GB-GT ... 1438.l2649.
From what i've gathered, they are not "fake", in the sense they are real, nvidia graphics card. The problem is, they are not what they say they are. They have been edited within the BIOS to make it say, for instance the one you linked, GTX 960.

looking at youtube articles about this, one guys GTX 960 was actually a GTS 450.

So is it worth it? Absolutely not. You can buy non-faked GTS 450s for less then you can buy the fake GTX 960 that is really a GTS 450

Oh, and, not only is it more expensive to buy the fake GTX 960 then to buy a normal GTS 450, but it also performs less then a normal GTS 450 would, because the drivers have no idea what they are doing. The drivers think it's a GTX 960, and therefore tries to control it as if it is, which are way different architectures, and that doesn't end well.

To further my point, specific to your question about mining with them, you probably wouldn't be able to if that GTX 960 is actually a GTS 450.

Even though the system would "think" it has 4 gigs of ram on it, per the bios mod, it in reality would have 1gb of ram on it. This is important because most profitable mining on graphics cards need at least, what is it, 3GB now? So it wouldn't even be able to mine any coin that requires that.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:25 am

Those cards are perfectly fine.

The guy had mining rigs running for the past 2-3 years and is now selling all the cards now that the mining is less or non-profitable for them.
The cards (only 1 left at time I saw it) is a 960 4GB card, with the OC bios it performs 11 MH/s on equihash for $70 each and he has 10 left.

For quick references:

1050ti-15MH-$250-335
1060-24MH-$200-300
1070-32 MH-$400-500
1070ti-32 MH-$400-500
1080-27MH-$550-650
1080 ti-37MH-$750-850

I'd not get the 1050ti, for the price its not more than the 960.
And the 1070 cards seem a bit too pricey. I didn't find specs for 1060ti, but that might be one to check out for high hashrate and low number of cards.

GOOD LUCK!
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:10 pm

CSZiggy wrote:Those cards are perfectly fine.

The guy had mining rigs running for the past 2-3 years and is now selling all the cards now that the mining is less or non-profitable for them.
The cards (only 1 left at time I saw it) is a 960 4GB card, with the OC bios it performs 11 MH/s on equihash for $70 each and he has 10 left.
How do you know "the guy"?

And he can't even get the information correct.

THe GTX 960 listed shows "4GB GDDR5 192bit(128bit)"

So which is it, 192, or 128?

If it's 192-bit, then it's the OEM version of the GTX 960. Not a problem except, that card only comes with 3GB of memory, not 4GB of memory. So can't be the 192bit.

If it's the 128-bit, then it could be the 4GB version, but then why does it say 192bit?

Then there's the fact in its own listing it states this:

"This is a customized version, not original. The pursuit is the cost performance.
Although the interface and performance have changed, it can meet most of the usage requirements in reality." <----Which, btw, whose reality?

So then you go on to look and try and find out which picture on there is the GTX 960, and you find this one as the one that links to the GTX 960

Bear in mind, the picture posted above comes DIRECTLY from the ebay listing, it is a DIRECT LINK, i did not find it elsewhere, what you are viewing is FROM the ebay link, and when you click on that picture in the ebay link, is when it moves the drop down menus to the GTX 960

And first you gotta wonder: Why is it that they all have "custom" and "different style" coolers? There's nothing better about any of the coolers they put on them then the original ones, in fact, more often then not, they are cheap and do less.

But lets first get to that photo.

If you look around and try and figure out what GTX 960s are fake, you'll find picture after picture of....that very card.

^--- Fake

^--- Fake

^--- Fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ved84d_6occ

^ Video about them being fake, including taking off that exact same cooler, and finding out the true identity of the GPU beneath, being a GTS

So CSZiggy, please tell me where your wisdom of them not being fake comes from? And how you, per your own statement, seems to know who he is by this statement: "The guy had mining rigs running for the past 2-3 years and is now selling all the cards now that the mining is less or non-profitable for them."

????

I'd be very much interested to find that information out on how you know a card that is obviously fake, is not fake?

Now here's the thing: Is the GTX 960 on that ebay going to be guaranteed to be a GTS 450? No, it could be a 750 ti, or some other random card. But i guarantee you, i would 100% bet money on it, that it's NOT a GTX 960.

Please, do not be a proponent in this scam.
Last edited by Aura89 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:27 pm

I'd buy them without thinking twice. He is selling them on EBAY.
If it comes in, and I purchased a 960 card with 4GB and I get anything OTHER than a 960 with 4GB, it gets sent back.
That is one of the beauties of EBAY, you get what you paid for, or you send it back on their dime and its their problem for not being more clear.

Again, they altered the firmware--so it may not perform exactly like the original...this one may now use more wattage than the original was every designed to carry so it may use MORE power than a store bought orginal.

I know, I sold 24 video cards, although those were all 750ti cards back in those days, they all had modded firmware to allow the TDP to go higher than the cards originally allowed so I could OC them. Also the fan controllers were topped off at like 50% so the custom allowed them to spin all the way up and keep the cards cooler, BUT they used more wattage than they were originally designed to use.

My advice, if the stats seem good, BUY THEM.
If you get them in and they are NOT as advertised, contact Ebay, say they were not as described, and return them on the sellers dime for not being more clear.

Amazon, I've had to fight and taken a few weeks to finally be allowed to return an item or 2, but Ebay....if its not as advertised, they take care of you the buyer.
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:30 pm

CSZiggy wrote:

Again, they altered the firmware--so it may not perform exactly like the original...this one may now use more wattage than the original was every designed to carry so it may use MORE power than a store bought orginal.

What part of "Not a GTX 960, but is instead a GTS 450" do you not understand?

As to the ebay part, yes, theoretically you might be able to get your money back, if you can PROVE what you have been given is not a GTX 960.

The problem with that is, you'd have to take off the heatsink, remove the thermal paste, read the code on the physical GPU, show that isn't the code for a GTX 960, and hopefully, MAYBE get your money back, if Ebay understands what GPU naming is.

I can't for the life of me understand why you are so hell bent on making sure people get scammed.
CSZiggy wrote:
I know, I sold 24 video cards, although those were all 750ti cards back in those days, they all had modded firmware to allow the TDP to go higher than the cards originally allowed so I could OC them. Also the fan controllers were topped off at like 50% so the custom allowed them to spin all the way up and keep the cards cooler, BUT they used more wattage than they were originally designed to use.
Not even REMOTELY the same thing.

Modding your firmware to better perform or use less energy for cryptocurrencies sake is NOT, i repeat, NOT the same thing as modding firmware into TRICKING YOUR SYSTEM into thinking it's an entirely different GPU.

These modded GTX 960s are going to SHOW 4GB to the system, even though they have LESS THAN 1GB!

It's a scam, pure and simple, i don't understand what is so hard to understand about that or why you're so for people getting scammed. It makes ZERO sense.

You say you bought and sold many GPUs for mining sake on ebay and etc. Yet you are acting like you have zero clue what the difference between graphics cards are.
CSZiggy wrote: and its their problem for not being more clear.
THERE'S NOTHING TO BE MORE CLEAR ABOUT. It's NOT a GTX 960! It's a FAKE. It's IN REALITY, A GTS 450. WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT?!
CSZiggy wrote: Also the fan controllers were topped off at like 50% so the custom allowed them to spin all the way up and keep the cards cooler,
The fan controllers on these FAKE GTX 960s don't even WORK because the system has no idea how to deal with them because the SYSTEM THINKS IT'S A GTX 960 when in REALITY it's a GTS 450!

You do realize that the GTS 450 came out in 2010 and the GTX 960 came out in 2015, right?

Stop trying to make people feel okay with getting scammed. The only conclusion so far is that you must be someone who scams people, and possibly this ebay seller.

Can a moderator please come into this channel and stop this fool from trying to convince people to get scammed?
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Can a moderator come into this forum and tell AURA to stop making assumptions with no data to back it up.
I really must have missed where the ebay seller said it was actually a 450 card they modified.
Can you show me that statement on the ebay ad please. Otherwise you are just making info up now.
I think there is enough FAKE NEWS in the world, we don't need anyone to go and invent more of it. Thanks.

I support EBAY and the fact I can send stuff back and have the seller pay for it if it is NOT as advertised.
When in doubt...send a question to the seller and ask them point blank any questions instead of speculating/guessing/assuming.
If its that big of a deal, then don't buy them. Its that simple. Again, MY PREFERENCE====its EBAY so IT'S SAFE for ME as a BUYER.

If they are being sold on ebay, they have to be what they say they are, I get one in and find out its not, it goes back on their dime.
So I don't see how you are taking any risk.

They have the ad listing them as NEW: I purchase one and find out its not still sealed...or has dust on it that it was used in the past...Or really, has a firmware modification...then its not NEW...its USED and modified. So I get it in, it doesnt have the exact firmware that came with it, then they misrepresented their product and you get it all back.

If I needed a video card for mining, and these had the stats I wanted on a card, Id buy them all and not even think about it.
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:14 pm

CSZiggy wrote:Can a moderator come into this forum and tell AURA to stop making assumptions with no data to back it up.
I guess you can't read because i have given all the information very clearly, there is literally no more amount of information to give, and yet you seem so hell bent on convincing someone to get scammed.

wtf is wrong with you?
CSZiggy wrote: If I needed a video card for mining, and these had the stats I wanted on a card, Id buy them all and not even think about it.
It WON'T have the stats you wanted because it's NOT A GTX 960! it won't even have over 1GB of ram, so wtf are you even going on about?

Seriously, wtf is wrong with you?

Here, have all the threads about this FAKE GTX 960 that is ACTUALLY A GTS 450.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/87 ... gb-review/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/88 ... pu-thread/

Oh and the youtube again link you apparently didn't look at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ved84d_6occ

And some more youtube links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0seXAWGk6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbVAJORP5fg

STOP TRYING TO CONVINCE PEOPLE TO GET SCAMMED. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?