Pool Profitability inaccurate with hash rate L3+

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Michaelm247

Pool Profitability inaccurate with hash rate L3+

Post by Michaelm247 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:20 am

I have an L3+ AntMiner running OC’d at about 740mh/s daily AVG at a frequency at 537. I’m pool mining with prohashing.com. On an Ethereum calculator, plugging in my stats, I’m making about $8 GROSS a day with my L3. Where I should be making $15-25 a Day NET. Obviously with prohash.com, im mining several different coins for max profit and choosing to be paid in ETH. So can somebody enlighten me what I’m doing wrong and if I can do something different.

I’m running about 850w
Electricity is 0.12
Avg hashrate daily is 740mh/s
vaultminer

Re: Pool Profitability inaccurate with hash rate L3+

Post by vaultminer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:07 pm

You cannot use your L3+ hashrate in an ethereum calculator. Ethereum uses a different algorithm. You are not mining ethereum, you are simply getting paid in ethereum.

For your setup, WTM shows a net profit of $7.71 per day, so you are actually doing better than you should.

Check it out here:
WhatToMine Stats

The amount of dollars per day will not change if you change your payout coin. You'll get about the same dollar value that WTM shows no matter what
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Michaelm247 wrote:I have an L3+ AntMiner running OC’d at about 740mh/s daily AVG at a frequency at 537......Where I should be making $15-25 a Day NET.......So can somebody enlighten me what I’m doing wrong and if I can do something different.

I’m running about 850w
Electricity is 0.12

WOW, 537 freq and 740 hashrate...many errors? how's the heat on the chips and PCB?
$15-$25 a day on a L3+.....Sorry, this ain't December it's March and as the new batch rolls out expect that to drop more and more and more.
Everything is fine and running as expected, unless you can BAN chinese miners, not much you can do to increase profits.

I'd grab a volt tester and check your wattage. 740 hash is almost 50% over the original 500 hash...so I would assume you may be pulling around 50% more power as well....so instead of 700 watts, maybe closer to 1000? You may want to check, depending what else you have plugged in to that circuit it could be a fire hazard just waiting to spark off.

How long have you had the L3+ that you've been running it that high? What's the NONCE look like on that?? Very many rejected? Increasing the raw hashrate doesn't do anything for you if it introduces a ton of errors or rejects that stops all that high hash from being counted towards your profits. As long as you haven't crossed the line of diminishing returns.
Michaelm247

Post by Michaelm247 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:41 pm

CSZiggy wrote:
Michaelm247 wrote:I have an L3+ AntMiner running OC’d at about 740mh/s daily AVG at a frequency at 537......Where I should be making $15-25 a Day NET.......So can somebody enlighten me what I’m doing wrong and if I can do something different.

I’m running about 850w
Electricity is 0.12

WOW, 537 freq and 740 hashrate...many errors? how's the heat on the chips and PCB?
$15-$25 a day on a L3+.....Sorry, this ain't December it's March and as the new batch rolls out expect that to drop more and more and more.
Everything is fine and running as expected, unless you can BAN chinese miners, not much you can do to increase profits.

I'd grab a volt tester and check your wattage. 740 hash is almost 50% over the original 500 hash...so I would assume you may be pulling around 50% more power as well....so instead of 700 watts, maybe closer to 1000? You may want to check, depending what else you have plugged in to that circuit it could be a fire hazard just waiting to spark off.

How long have you had the L3+ that you've been running it that high? What's the NONCE look like on that?? Very many rejected? Increasing the raw hashrate doesn't do anything for you if it introduces a ton of errors or rejects that stops all that high hash from being counted towards your profits. As long as you haven't crossed the line of diminishing returns.
The heat on the chips/PCBs is sitting at about 45-60 degrees. The ambient temperature where it sits is about 45 degrees. Depending on time of day, it varies from 650-750. I have it on a surge protector in its very own standalone 120v wall plug in. I get 95-100% efficiency throughout the day as far as rejections go. And I’ve been running for about a month now like that. I’ve found the sweet spot basically of electrical load/efficiency of power/ profitable hash rate. I’ve had zero issue with it and it runs pretty solid. Chips and PCB are god across the board, and have no overheating issues. Not too cold, not too hot, I plan on getting a Kill-a-watt so I can see what I’m sitting at as far as voltage.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Hope the amps for the circuit it's plugged into handles it.

Hope it lasts long enough for you to get it's worth out of it.
At those settings I'll be interested in how long it lasts.

Keep us updated on XXXXX or HW error # it develops over time, Id be interested to see if that much of a OC was really worth it.
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Michaelm247 wrote: Where I should be making $15-25 a Day NET.
Your math is very much off. The only way you'd make more then mining straight Litecoin with the L3+ is if another coin was higher, and even that, these days, unless much higher, has not been that affective. Right now, you can expect to earn, with your hashrate, around $8-$10.50(net) a day.

The fact that you are converting it to Ethereum doesn't even remotely affect that.

As well, i have no idea what you would even mean by using an "ethereum calculator", as you are not mining ethereum, and ethereum uses an entirely different algorithim, so you can't go to an ethereum calculator and put in "740mh", as it doesn't work that way.

If it did, then everyone would be inputting their 13TH SHA256 miners into Scrypt(litecoin) calculators and expecting to be paid $170-$190 dollars a day, as that's what it says when you input SHA-256 speeds into Scrypt calculators.

But, incase it's not clear some more:

Your L3+ is a Scrypt algorithm miner

Ethereum is a Ethash algorithm

They are not comparable, and ultimately, even if they were, since you can not mine Ethash algorithm coins with a Scrypt algorithm ASIC, then no matter what you could not compare what your miner would do if it were an Ethash algorithim ASIC, since it....can not mine them.
mycide

Post by mycide » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Michaelm247 wrote:
CSZiggy wrote:

I’m running about 850w
Electricity is 0.12

The heat on the chips/PCBs is sitting at about 45-60 degrees. The ambient temperature where it sits is about 45 degrees. Depending on time of day, it varies from 650-750. I have it on a surge protector in its very own standalone 120v wall plug in. I get 95-100% efficiency throughout the day as far as rejections go. And I’ve been running for about a month now like that. I’ve found the sweet spot basically of electrical load/efficiency of power/ profitable hash rate. I’ve had zero issue with it and it runs pretty solid. Chips and PCB are god across the board, and have no overheating issues. Not too cold, not too hot, I plan on getting a Kill-a-watt so I can see what I’m sitting at as far as voltage.

Wow indeed.. 45 degree ambient, thats 15 degrees above mine, and im running my highes OC at 605mh/s@462 freq temps on board 65, on chip around 70, been running since august, but i only managed to OC one L3+ to this, others present to much HW or dead dies, but im hashing most rigs at 540-560mh/s stable and temps not over 65 on dies.

ur fans most be running maxed 24/7 and def rig is sucking way more then 800 watt advertised at 500mh/s
I'd also be curious with updates on u'r rig running like this, never heard anyone running one at those speeeds before.
I been thinking of custom cool one rig and push it over 604mh/s but im to cautious, dont want to burn my rigs.

Like CsZiggy wrote before, bumping ur hash up like this might not give you anything if it results in many HW and rejects, that might be the opposite of ur sweetspot, using way more electricity returning bigger % rejected work, will pull ur profitability down.
Running rigs: KNC Titan, Antminer D3 & L3+'s
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Also a thing to ask is where they live.

If they are from the states, they are still using 'F and not 'C like the rest of the world.
The OCer with the 45-60' might have been from the states and the temps/ambients might not be as bad as we are thinking they are.

Or maybe they are.
mycide

Post by mycide » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:18 pm

CSZiggy wrote:Also a thing to ask is where they live.

If they are from the states, they are still using 'F and not 'C like the rest of the world.
The OCer with the 45-60' might have been from the states and the temps/ambients might not be as bad as we are thinking they are.

Or maybe they are.
if ambient is 45f , that is 7 degrees celcius, meaning the chips cant be running at 60f as its only 15 degrees celcius.

must be celcius and if that is the case; 45 degree ambient will not reproduce pcb and chip at 45-60c, that is purely impossible, even unclocked..
Running rigs: KNC Titan, Antminer D3 & L3+'s
alim

Post by alim » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:57 am

You state
My average MH/s is over 100k less, with temps at

PCBs : 45-49
Chips : 55-58

What Frequency have you set?

I think you will find in your chips lots of "x"s - meaning the chips are turn off, which in turn means that you are mining on fewer chips.

Bottom line - you may average 740m/h, but I'll bet that your chips are out. Mine start hitting hardware issues at anything over 500MHz.