Static coin mining multiple coins simultaneously

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
asiago

Static coin mining multiple coins simultaneously

Post by asiago » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:55 pm

I've been messing around with mining static coins. I've got a couple of Moonlander 2's, which as everyone knows, are basically toys. The hashrate is low enough that pooled mining is essentially an exercise in frustration due to the pool director changing coins once a minute or more at times.

So, I set up my rigs to mine a single coin (Megacoin) which is fantastic... until the pool's hashpower lands on it, then not a single accepted share until the Collective focuses elsewhere. So, I was thinking, why not point my second worker at a different coin, to 'stabilize' the rate of accepted shares? So, I changed the config - one worker static on megacoin, and the other worker static on novacoin, because it seems to be extremely rare that they're both targeted by the pool director at the same time.

But, it doesn't work. I can mine one coin, not both. The second worker always gets the error "Authorization failed because the static coin is not enabled for mining" regardless if I wait more than 120s to start the second worker or not.

So, basically, is what I'm trying to do not possible?
spauk

Re: Static coin mining multiple coins simultaneously

Post by spauk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:44 pm

the static coin mining limits are pretty oppressive, even for solo mining. you can try adding h= up to 1000 in the password arguments so it selects coins with higher network difficulty if the pool is solving blocks too fast on the lower difficulty coins, they say it could lower profitability but if you feel like you aren't getting shares because of work restarts from new blocks it might make a difference. i guess it just comes down to coin assignment.
i don't really use static coin mining anymore so i don't know if it's possible to mine more than one at the same time. i think last time i tried to solo mine two coins at the same time it didn't work, i'd have to try some things out.
i have 4 moonlander 2s running, they seem ok on autoswitching pps dynamic difficulty and bounce around between 16384 and 32768 difficulty on dynamic, i don't worry about it too much as long as they're working. smaller 1mh/s miners in groups of 4 show similar behavior as you're describing, i might see in the miner pages of new blocks and coin switches before a share. and rejected shares are more devastating for smaller miners.
i have noticed something neat about moonlanders compared to some of my other small miners, they still work if you set the static difficulty high (above 1 or 2, or 65536 or 13172 in the miner), so they could be good for solo mining (set 4194304 static difficulty and it only submits shares above 64) obviously it would be a while between shares but it will solve blocks.