Setting difficulty solo mining

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
leeb18509

Setting difficulty solo mining

Post by leeb18509 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 pm

Was wondering if someone could shed some light on setting the difficulty when solo mining lower difficulty coins. The Help guide says you'll have lower profitability if you let the pool set your difficulty on a low diff coin.

So is the magic something like setting it close to the coin difficulty as a factor of 2? For instance, coin diff is ~25,000. Do you set your miner to 16,384? Or a little over at 32,768? Or just let it run with no password argument? Thanks for the help...
GregoryGHarding

Re: Setting difficulty solo mining

Post by GregoryGHarding » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:52 pm

worker diff and network diff are not connected.

your worker diff is the size of the share your worker will try to solve, if its too high your miner wont solve shares fast enough for you to remain in a profitable state.

network diff is how difficult it is for the pooled network hash to solve a block of whatever coin your mining. its a method of self governance against hashpower gaining and making it easier to solve.
leeb18509

Post by leeb18509 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 pm

If I solo mine a coin, do I have to expressly get paid out in that coin? Does "get paid in any coin" only apply to the PPS miners?
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:18 pm

leeb18509 wrote:If I solo mine a coin, do I have to expressly get paid out in that coin? Does "get paid in any coin" only apply to the PPS miners?
when you solo a coin, you have to be paid in that coin because you chose to go outside PPS and mine a specific coin. if you PPS Pool mine, you can choose your payout coin
leeb18509

Post by leeb18509 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 pm

Awesome, thanks.

So what can I look at it to tweak my 2 L3+ miners? I'm shooting for Gulden https://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency/coins/gulden It looks like the network diff is around 36,000.

As far as i can tell the "d=xxxxx" is a worker difficulty setting, so what should I shoot for? Submitting the most shares as in the "2hr share estimate". Where do I find the size of the share I'm trying to solve?

Already found one block in about an hour worth $16 so not bad. :-)

thanks again, Lee
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:54 pm

leeb18509 wrote:Awesome, thanks.

So what can I look at it to tweak my 2 L3+ miners? I'm shooting for Gulden https://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency/coins/gulden It looks like the network diff is around 36,000.

As far as i can tell the "d=xxxxx" is a worker difficulty setting, so what should I shoot for? Submitting the most shares as in the "2hr share estimate". Where do I find the size of the share I'm trying to solve?

Already found one block in about an hour worth $16 so not bad. :-)

thanks again, Lee
you only need to worry about what your miners can handle in terms of worker diff. my L3's work well with 65536 - 131072, it may differ with yours