#skipcbcheck Questions

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
spauk

#skipcbcheck Questions

Post by spauk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:10 pm

I've known about #skipcbcheck for a while but never fully understood what it does. So I wanted to make a post to see if anyone knows more about it.
It's a switch that goes on the end of the stratum URL like stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333#skipcbcheck in bfgminer or stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333/#skipcbcheck in cgminer.
Obviously it stands for skip coinbase check, but if the coinbase checks are for merged mining does that mean it disables merged mining, or is it just disabling the messages that the miner shows when there is a coinbase check (and subsequent pool 0 is misbehaving, disabling! messages)?
Or am i misunderstanding the function of the coinbase check in bfgminer entirely? Is it from some legacy function from sha256 mining?
Without #skipbcheck it would often show the pool as dead when it gets disabled by bfgminer for misbehaving when too many coinbase checks; but i think it still seems to get work and submit work just fine even showing the pool as dead from being supposedly disabled.
With #skipcbcheck i don't see any coinbase checks but it looks like it's always connected.
Assuming profitability is unchanged by #skipcbcheck it doesn't really matter, just a cleaner bfgminer display output. In prohashing's help page it only mentions #skipcbcheck for knc titans, and at that hashrate it might make more of a difference, but i think this is more of an issue with the way some versions of bfgminer work.
desmike481

Re: #skipcbcheck Questions

Post by desmike481 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:06 am

I had the same observations as you. When I initially setup my prohashing config, I was getting a lot of coinbase check messages. I added it only because I read somewhere it gets rid of them. Like you, I don't exactly know the pros / cons of this.. Agree - the help only says it related to knc titans. However, it appears to be relevant to bfgminer also.

Mike
Steve Sokolowski

Re: #skipcbcheck Questions

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:42 am

spauk wrote:I've known about #skipcbcheck for a while but never fully understood what it does. So I wanted to make a post to see if anyone knows more about it.
It's a switch that goes on the end of the stratum URL like stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333#skipcbcheck in bfgminer or stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333/#skipcbcheck in cgminer.
Obviously it stands for skip coinbase check, but if the coinbase checks are for merged mining does that mean it disables merged mining, or is it just disabling the messages that the miner shows when there is a coinbase check (and subsequent pool 0 is misbehaving, disabling! messages)?
Or am i misunderstanding the function of the coinbase check in bfgminer entirely? Is it from some legacy function from sha256 mining?
Without #skipbcheck it would often show the pool as dead when it gets disabled by bfgminer for misbehaving when too many coinbase checks; but i think it still seems to get work and submit work just fine even showing the pool as dead from being supposedly disabled.
With #skipcbcheck i don't see any coinbase checks but it looks like it's always connected.
Assuming profitability is unchanged by #skipcbcheck it doesn't really matter, just a cleaner bfgminer display output. In prohashing's help page it only mentions #skipcbcheck for knc titans, and at that hashrate it might make more of a difference, but i think this is more of an issue with the way some versions of bfgminer work.
I don't know much about what this parameter does, but I can say that we don't take any action because of it. Whatever it does, it changes the client's behavior, not the server's.