No Idea if I'm Configured Correctly

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
AppleMiner

Re: No Idea if I'm Configured Correctly

Post by AppleMiner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm

JimmyTF2018 wrote:Sadly when one searches "mining software prohashing" - cgminer is commonly mentioned. Bad info yes. Something you'd expect to be corrected in support forums.
Yeah that really is surprising.
Especially when I do that search and I get the following results:

Information
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: software prohashing mining.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

Tell me again how one searches "mining software prohashing" on the support forums and which post of that info you would like to see corrected and I will do my best to post an edit mentioning the info as out of date. Or are you doing google searches and looking at info 18 months out of date?
JimmyTF2018

Post by JimmyTF2018 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:58 pm

AppleMiner wrote:
JimmyTF2018 wrote:Sadly when one searches "mining software prohashing" - cgminer is commonly mentioned. Bad info yes. Something you'd expect to be corrected in support forums.
Yeah that really is surprising.
Especially when I do that search and I get the following results:

Information
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: software prohashing mining.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

Tell me again how one searches "mining software prohashing" on the support forums and which post of that info you would like to see corrected and I will do my best to post an edit mentioning the info as out of date. Or are you doing google searches and looking at info 18 months out of date?
I was using google and looking at searches that no one has decided needs to be corrected in 18 months. Considering the success of users in this field is supposed to be based on the combined strength of a pool it's rather amazing how deadset-against-increasing-the-pool the users in this forum appear to be.
AppleMiner

Post by AppleMiner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:38 pm

"I" never said not to mine here or not to use the pool.
The other users are just making sure you are aware of your limitations of what you are attempting to do.
And that you will likely find better profits/payouts on a pool that has ASIC-resistant coins you can mine which this site does not.
Here you will be competing vs large ASIC machines and it may take you hours or days if ever to find a share and get credit/payouts.

That said, no one told anyone they couldn't still use a 486 CPU running windows XP to surf the web in 2018.
But I'm pretty sure we could all agree it would not be the best user experience to be using such out of date hardware to so what other systems do so much better in today's day and age. The CPU/GPU card mining is the same. I'm not saying you cant do it with older, slower devices, I am just pointing out you may not have as smooth a user experience as others have using more up to date devices.

Also, the number of users on this pool that still use CPU/GPU devices seems quite limited, so you may not find as much help here on that subject as you may find in other places.

For the record...I am NOT going back 18 months and editing all the out of date posts/settings dealing with crypto.
This is crypto, if its more than 3 months old, it is probably out of date. What was working for everyone back in July may not be true as of last week.
That is why it is important to see when the information you are looking at was posted.

HAPPY HASHING!
JimmyTF2018

Post by JimmyTF2018 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 pm

AppleMiner wrote:"I" never said not to mine here or not to use the pool.
The other users are just making sure you are aware of your limitations of what you are attempting to do.
And that you will likely find better profits/payouts on a pool that has ASIC-resistant coins you can mine which this site does not.
Here you will be competing vs large ASIC machines and it may take you hours or days if ever to find a share and get credit/payouts.

That said, no one told anyone they couldn't still use a 486 CPU running windows XP to surf the web in 2018.
But I'm pretty sure we could all agree it would not be the best user experience to be using such out of date hardware to so what other systems do so much better in today's day and age. The CPU/GPU card mining is the same. I'm not saying you cant do it with older, slower devices, I am just pointing out you may not have as smooth a user experience as others have using more up to date devices.

Also, the number of users on this pool that still use CPU/GPU devices seems quite limited, so you may not find as much help here on that subject as you may find in other places.

For the record...I am NOT going back 18 months and editing all the out of date posts/settings dealing with crypto.
This is crypto, if its more than 3 months old, it is probably out of date. What was working for everyone back in July may not be true as of last week.
That is why it is important to see when the information you are looking at was posted.

HAPPY HASHING!
Much of that was actually useful and valid - to dispute your last point though - to new users who don't have years of trending knowledge - and if there is no new information posted - then the most current info we can find from 18 months ago IS the most current info. See the issue there?
spauk

Post by spauk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:28 am

that is what scrypt mining looks like on a gpu, a lot of work restarts and coin network switching or changing network difficulty. so everything is probably normal. i don't know if it's still true that AMD cards are better at scrypt and nvidia is better at x11, so keep that in mind too if you choose to gpu mine scrypt or x11.
my gpu mining experience started with a couple radeon 6950 a few years ago and i would get like 500 kh/s scrypt but i've stopped using those. a couple geforce 960 wouldn't be much better at scrypt than those probably but maybe it depends a lot on the software too, if any optimizations can be made, but i think people just gave up on developing software for scrypt mining on gpu when scrypt asics got cheap and powerful enough. so that's why i mentioned an old cgminer version, it worked for my radeon 6950 and not much has changed there
pretty much all my hardware is behind by at least a generation or two so i get the poor people woes. i might try to run some radeon 6950 again on yiimp or something but depending on the coin it will probably cost more on power (like 200+ watts each) than what it's worth.
on yiimp.eu you can see what other miners are using for software version if you click the miners link at the top, for whatever coins they mine there so that can also be a useful tool for deciding what works for what coins, along with benchmarks if they were uploaded.
you're a pretty lucky guy to have geforce 1080, do what you want, but i suggest to go where you can make more than a few cents a day with it (assuming you get maybe a megahash or two scrypt)