Solo mining low difficulty coins

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
suhalleyiv

Solo mining low difficulty coins

Post by suhalleyiv » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:57 pm

So if you are mining a low difficulty coin like Newyorkcoin solo does the dynamic difficulty interfere with your chance to find a block. The difficulty is only 400 or so for that coin. I would imagine that you would want to submit as many shares as possible to have the best chance to find a block. Is the block difficulty and the static/ dynamic difficulty two different things independent of each other?
spauk

Re: Solo mining low difficulty coins

Post by spauk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:22 pm

i'm not sure what you mean by block difficulty, but there's network difficulty for each coin reflected by the whole network's hashpower on that coin, and the pool's share difficulty which is set by the pool or password arguments if it's a valid number.
the minimum static difficulty for scrypt right now is 65536, dynamic difficulty starts at 65536 but will go down to 32768 or 16384 with smaller miners (like 4 or 5 mhs), and then bounce around between 32768 and 16384. i don't understand why they can't allow static difficulty to match what dynamic does.
anyways, i don't think it affects chances of finding blocks much unless the difficulty changes cause more errors or rejects. but i get what you're saying, difficulty too high and you're sitting there watching new blocks go by while it's not finding shares fast enough to even submit one before a new block is detected.
spauk

Re: Solo mining low difficulty coins

Post by spauk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 pm

also a note on scrypt difficulty in general: a scrypt difficulty of 1 is multiplied by 65536 so if newyorkcoin's difficulty is 900 you would have to have a setting of 65536 x 900 = 58982400 in the scrypt miner to always solve a block every time a share is submitted like in getwork protocol solomining to your own local wallet. and of course shares too small don't count for anything because they didn't solve a block, unless they merge mined something and that merge mined block was solved then you get whatever you merge mined paid out in the solo mined coin, which is one perk of solo mining here