D3 How to be Profitable

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
greaseman316

D3 How to be Profitable

Post by greaseman316 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:11 pm

With the massive influx of D3s since middle of Nov. Profits have nose dived big time. I have bounced around a lot to different pools just to see if anyone else could compare to PH. I personally have not found one yet. PH is still about 15% to 20% better even with the server issues and disconnects at times. I am sure the Brothers are working hard to resolve issues and continue to make improvements. So with that being said............
Let say that opinions are like rear ends everybody has one! This is only MY opinion! this is not in any kind of order but only suggestions.

D3s
How much is too much to take a break or throw in the towel and sell miners?????
Well that Question alone gives us a lot to talk about. So lets talk about the Hobby miner cause i know most of you are in the same boat as me, spent a butt ton of money to see the bright future of x11 mining go into the toilet.

Where to begin, where to begin? I guess lets work with 1 miner and everyone else with more can scale things up from there.
Lets give basic settings for the miner: 525m with PCB temps low to mid 60s, Power at $.10 per KWH
There are a ton of variables that can make your miner more profitable.

#1 PSU/power supply
In my testing this can make or break you from the beginning with such a small profit margin.
1st, If you do not have your PSU connected to 220/240VAC (USA) then you are already fighting a losing battle. 110VAC the very best draw i could ever get even with a modified 110/240VAC PSU was around 1200 watts at the socket. That is about $2.90 per day at $.10kwh. It ran like crap and i had overheating issues with the miner and the PSU.
With the same Modified PSU at 230VAC i dropped to about 1000 watts at the socket just increasing the input voltage, which is Bitmains claim that is the draw using one of there PSUs. This is already a savings of about $.40 per day

After testing a ton with different PSUs i found that when i upgraded to a higher wattage 200/240VAC input Server PSU with a much larger 12VDC amp load i was able to see my wattage numbers at the socket decrease. Using 2200 watts to 3000 watts PSUs with an output of 200-250 amps at 12VDC, i saw at the socket wattage average in the mid 800s plus or minus 10% depending on PSU with the above settings. So we will use 850 as or happy medium without getting into all the extra tweeks i did to get those numbers into the low to mid 700s.
At 850watts you are now saving about $.85 per day at $.10kwh. Those numbers can add up fast and instead of putting a little extra in your pocket, you are just giving it away to power company. I can only say that when your daily cost per KWH increases to a point that you can no longer make a profit, it is then time to put it away til things come back around or you can find someone to purchase your unit.

#2 POOL
As i stated above i have been around the block a time or two. So far you have found the right place to point your D3s. I know you have to stay on top of things, right now this is not a set it and forget it Pool. But i am sure over the coming weeks/months things will get better and you will have to do less and sit back more and just collect your earnings. I must say the brothers have been doing an amazing job with all the upgrades and roll out of new servers and such.
There are some very minor tweeks you can use to increase or decrease your profits here on the pool but i will not go into those. The pool alone is enough, and i do not want to promote anything that could undermine how this pool operates. Any tweeks you make to your miner you will have to figure out for yourself. I suggest you set the the password field as a=x11 n=workername and leave it as such.

#3 Solo or PPS
Many people will have different opinions about this subject. This is ONLY MINE!!!
For me there is a time and place for each. what is my goal? am i trying to load up on one coin or am i trying to hit the lottery per say with Dash.
PH has you covered with the coin of your choice payments. So other than soloing for dash i usually just stick to PPS and take payments in the coin i want to trade.

#4 Firmware
This is a long shot for some and just depends on YOU!

Bitmains firmware from what i can see is extremely buggy and so far only made slight adjustments to address the Hardware error issues. they have not made a very good attempt to solve any other issues or even the hardware issues. With that being said Normally i would not go out on a limb and promote anything or anyone or ask anyone to void their warranty. So this is only for those that care less about the crappy warranty to begin with and have nothing to lose!!!! So do not try this!!!!
Ok with that out of the way. For those that want to do EVERYTHING they can to make as much as possible. I would suggest to do a search of bitcointalk's forum for Blissz. He has written firmware that may interest some of you. after testing it on one of my miners i must say it can also help save you some more of the cost to run your miners. Please be aware it does have a fee included in its use for further DEV.

Personally I have been working on my own firmware and i will leave it at that.

#5 Trading
This can be the most profitable way to increase your earnings and can also be a way to lose as well.
I am sure this will get the most comments as everyone will have their opinion about how, what coin and when to dump or to hold your coins.
I am only going to say this; Do your research follow a lot of different coins and when you do sell know what you are about to do.
I trade on a regular basis and i track certain coins all the time. I ALWAYS make sure to have a look at my wallet that contains the coin i have been getting my payments in before and after each and every deposit so i have a good idea of what price was paid for them at payout. At the very least i have a starting point for when i want to sell and how many coins at this or that price and what sell price will make me an extra profit.

#6 No fee Payments

PLEASE!!!! look at your payout threshold before choosing a coin so you do not incur extra transaction fees. I see all to often people complaining about there payout coins or fees after they have changed the threshold. Just Save your time and money and either wait or pick a coin you can sell each day/week or what ever. Running a D3 Do not go use bitcoin as your payment if you want a daily or weekly payment. You are not going to meet the threshold and the fees are just crazy to say the least. Use a trading site and choose a coin you can sell to get your bitcoins.

So in short after all is said Right now at this point in time if i can earn $.25 + per hour per machine before costs, i am doing pretty good.

I think i am going to stop for now and hope to see every ones input. The more people we have testing and making small adjustments, the more profit we all can make in the long run with our D3s.

Maybe if one of the brothers sees this post as worthy it could be made sticky

Thanks again an i hope everyone will get involved to help each other make more $$$$
G
AppleMiner

Re: D3 How to be Profitable

Post by AppleMiner » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Brought to you by M.C.Escher CryptoMining Inc.

Same makers of Escher Windfarm CryptoMining Inc.
greaseman316

Post by greaseman316 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:55 am

bump
keksik

Post by keksik » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi ,as i can see, i am following the same pattern (except day trading, so far a bit scared of it to :D) as you are. i really want also to recommend Blissz firmware for D3, despite the dev fee is still great. i have 220V so I am not bothered whit this kind of "problem".
im currently using only n and a password arguments, so far so good.

thanks for sharing your thoughts.
djliss

Post by djliss » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:55 pm

or this way lol, not that anybody should do this!!!

MinerMaximus

Post by MinerMaximus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:55 pm

djliss wrote:or this way lol, not that anybody should do this!!!

With almost $0.20 per kW/h... you must know that feel...
greaseman316

Post by greaseman316 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks for the comments!!!!

If anyone has anything they are testing or would like to test. Post it here and maybe we can all give our input. Anything is worth a try to help all of us here at PH. I am a junkie for trying oddball and off the wall crap. So if you got something swimming around up there, You never know until it has been proven one way or the other. Dont be afraid to at least put it out there.

Thanks G
Foxx

Post by Foxx » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:05 pm

greaseman316 wrote:With the massive influx of D3s since middle of Nov. Profits have nose dived big time. I have bounced around a lot to different pools just to see if anyone else could compare to PH. I personally have not found one yet. PH is still about 15% to 20% better even with the server issues and disconnects at times. I am sure the Brothers are working hard to resolve issues and continue to make improvements. So with that being said............
Let say that opinions are like rear ends everybody has one! This is only MY opinion! this is not in any kind of order but only suggestions.

D3s
How much is too much to take a break or throw in the towel and sell miners?????
Well that Question alone gives us a lot to talk about. So lets talk about the Hobby miner cause i know most of you are in the same boat as me, spent a butt ton of money to see the bright future of x11 mining go into the toilet.

Where to begin, where to begin? I guess lets work with 1 miner and everyone else with more can scale things up from there.
Lets give basic settings for the miner: 525m with PCB temps low to mid 60s, Power at $.10 per KWH
There are a ton of variables that can make your miner more profitable.

#1 PSU/power supply
In my testing this can make or break you from the beginning with such a small profit margin.
1st, If you do not have your PSU connected to 220/240VAC (USA) then you are already fighting a losing battle. 110VAC the very best draw i could ever get even with a modified 110/240VAC PSU was around 1200 watts at the socket. That is about $2.90 per day at $.10kwh. It ran like crap and i had overheating issues with the miner and the PSU.
With the same Modified PSU at 230VAC i dropped to about 1000 watts at the socket just increasing the input voltage, which is Bitmains claim that is the draw using one of there PSUs. This is already a savings of about $.40 per day

After testing a ton with different PSUs i found that when i upgraded to a higher wattage 200/240VAC input Server PSU with a much larger 12VDC amp load i was able to see my wattage numbers at the socket decrease. Using 2200 watts to 3000 watts PSUs with an output of 200-250 amps at 12VDC, i saw at the socket wattage average in the mid 800s plus or minus 10% depending on PSU with the above settings. So we will use 850 as or happy medium without getting into all the extra tweeks i did to get those numbers into the low to mid 700s.
At 850watts you are now saving about $.85 per day at $.10kwh. Those numbers can add up fast and instead of putting a little extra in your pocket, you are just giving it away to power company. I can only say that when your daily cost per KWH increases to a point that you can no longer make a profit, it is then time to put it away til things come back around or you can find someone to purchase your unit.

#2 POOL
As i stated above i have been around the block a time or two. So far you have found the right place to point your D3s. I know you have to stay on top of things, right now this is not a set it and forget it Pool. But i am sure over the coming weeks/months things will get better and you will have to do less and sit back more and just collect your earnings. I must say the brothers have been doing an amazing job with all the upgrades and roll out of new servers and such.
There are some very minor tweeks you can use to increase or decrease your profits here on the pool but i will not go into those. The pool alone is enough, and i do not want to promote anything that could undermine how this pool operates. Any tweeks you make to your miner you will have to figure out for yourself. I suggest you set the the password field as a=x11 n=workername and leave it as such.

#3 Solo or PPS
Many people will have different opinions about this subject. This is ONLY MINE!!!
For me there is a time and place for each. what is my goal? am i trying to load up on one coin or am i trying to hit the lottery per say with Dash.
PH has you covered with the coin of your choice payments. So other than soloing for dash i usually just stick to PPS and take payments in the coin i want to trade.

#4 Firmware
This is a long shot for some and just depends on YOU!

Bitmains firmware from what i can see is extremely buggy and so far only made slight adjustments to address the Hardware error issues. they have not made a very good attempt to solve any other issues or even the hardware issues. With that being said Normally i would not go out on a limb and promote anything or anyone or ask anyone to void their warranty. So this is only for those that care less about the crappy warranty to begin with and have nothing to lose!!!! So do not try this!!!!
Ok with that out of the way. For those that want to do EVERYTHING they can to make as much as possible. I would suggest to do a search of bitcointalk's forum for Blissz. He has written firmware that may interest some of you. after testing it on one of my miners i must say it can also help save you some more of the cost to run your miners. Please be aware it does have a fee included in its use for further DEV.

Personally I have been working on my own firmware and i will leave it at that.

#5 Trading
This can be the most profitable way to increase your earnings and can also be a way to lose as well.
I am sure this will get the most comments as everyone will have their opinion about how, what coin and when to dump or to hold your coins.
I am only going to say this; Do your research follow a lot of different coins and when you do sell know what you are about to do.
I trade on a regular basis and i track certain coins all the time. I ALWAYS make sure to have a look at my wallet that contains the coin i have been getting my payments in before and after each and every deposit so i have a good idea of what price was paid for them at payout. At the very least i have a starting point for when i want to sell and how many coins at this or that price and what sell price will make me an extra profit.

#6 No fee Payments

PLEASE!!!! look at your payout threshold before choosing a coin so you do not incur extra transaction fees. I see all to often people complaining about there payout coins or fees after they have changed the threshold. Just Save your time and money and either wait or pick a coin you can sell each day/week or what ever. Running a D3 Do not go use bitcoin as your payment if you want a daily or weekly payment. You are not going to meet the threshold and the fees are just crazy to say the least. Use a trading site and choose a coin you can sell to get your bitcoins.

So in short after all is said Right now at this point in time if i can earn $.25 + per hour per machine before costs, i am doing pretty good.

I think i am going to stop for now and hope to see every ones input. The more people we have testing and making small adjustments, the more profit we all can make in the long run with our D3s.

Maybe if one of the brothers sees this post as worthy it could be made sticky

Thanks again an i hope everyone will get involved to help each other make more $$$$
G
good stuff here, G. thanks for taking the time.
racicotma

Post by racicotma » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:06 am

anybody setting a static difficulty on the D3?
greaseman316

Post by greaseman316 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:51 am

Post by racicotma » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:06 am
anybody setting a static difficulty on the D3?

yes some of my D3s will only connect with static set up.try d=128 or d=256 added to your password argument