D3

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
greaseman316

Re: D3

Post by greaseman316 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:24 pm

ya ya i sold all the Bitmain crapola PSUs and now run 2450 watt server PSUs and yes my service averages 228 volts

Firmware ive been collecting since i got my miners.

the biggest savings i made was when i upgraded my PSUs from bitmains apw3 to the server supplies. I tried to make sure they were 96% plat rated and run them on 230volt.
When i started testing PSUs, bitmain was pulling around 1200 watts at 537m. i could get that wattage # down to around 1000 watts at the wall, but my hash rate was crap in my mind when running in the low 400m.

So I actually bought a couple different PSUs with the thought at the time, I wanted something that could also handle the L3s or S9 and not kill me in cost or run at almost 100% capacity while not killing my hash rate. After a crap ton of making up different PSUs and testing i found that the D3s can be some power hungry little buggers.

At 12VDC these buggers can pull up to 122 amps at 537m. Bitmains APWs barely handle that load which makes them run at full capacity all the time hence the big power draw at the socket. When i got around to an HP 2450watts PSU which is rated at 200amps/ 12VDC an 200/240VAC and 13.7 amp AC max, the wattage dropped as soon as i hooked them up. Now even with the 12VDC amp load, which was reduced with this PSU, the PSU never runs at full capacity and i have run 2 miners at reduced frequency on the same PSU, results were not as great but worked. And no i dont have have sockets or wires overheating as with the APWs.

Keep in mind i run each miner a little different but the settings are pretty close and it seems to be the happy medium for each one.
heres a break down + or - about 10% depending on temps
537m = 850w
525m = 720-750
519m = 715-740s
512m = 705-725
506m and under= stays around 710s

this is with board temps in 60s and chip temps high 70s to lower 80s. higher or lower my wattage increases.
those numbers do vary a little with each PSU. Test were run with 1 PSU same model, but with test ports built in.

If i had 480VAC nearby i am sure i could do a bit better, but i am limited to single phase 230 here.

Hope that breaks it down for you a bit and helps. I continue to test so i am sure i will be trying new stuff after the New Year to get my running costs down.

For the nah sayers!!! soon as i get back to playing with the electricity again i will get a pic of the meter hooked into the Socket.
Thanks G
idleshell

Post by idleshell » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:54 pm

greaseman316 wrote:
ya ya i sold all the Bitmain crapola PSUs and now run 2450 watt server PSUs and yes my service averages 228 volts

Firmware ive been collecting since i got my miners.

the biggest savings i made was when i upgraded my PSUs from bitmains apw3 to the server supplies. I tried to make sure they were 96% plat rated and run them on 230volt.
When i started testing PSUs, bitmain was pulling around 1200 watts at 537m. i could get that wattage # down to around 1000 watts at the wall, but my hash rate was crap in my mind when running in the low 400m.

So I actually bought a couple different PSUs with the thought at the time, I wanted something that could also handle the L3s or S9 and not kill me in cost or run at almost 100% capacity while not killing my hash rate. After a crap ton of making up different PSUs and testing i found that the D3s can be some power hungry little buggers.

At 12VDC these buggers can pull up to 122 amps at 537m. Bitmains APWs barely handle that load which makes them run at full capacity all the time hence the big power draw at the socket. When i got around to an HP 2450watts PSU which is rated at 200amps/ 12VDC an 200/240VAC and 13.7 amp AC max, the wattage dropped as soon as i hooked them up. Now even with the 12VDC amp load, which was reduced with this PSU, the PSU never runs at full capacity and i have run 2 miners at reduced frequency on the same PSU, results were not as great but worked. And no i dont have have sockets or wires overheating as with the APWs.

Keep in mind i run each miner a little different but the settings are pretty close and it seems to be the happy medium for each one.
heres a break down + or - about 10% depending on temps
537m = 850w
525m = 720-750
519m = 715-740s
512m = 705-725
506m and under= stays around 710s

this is with board temps in 60s and chip temps high 70s to lower 80s. higher or lower my wattage increases.
those numbers do vary a little with each PSU. Test were run with 1 PSU same model, but with test ports built in.

If i had 480VAC nearby i am sure i could do a bit better, but i am limited to single phase 230 here.

Hope that breaks it down for you a bit and helps. I continue to test so i am sure i will be trying new stuff after the New Year to get my running costs down.

For the nah sayers!!! soon as i get back to playing with the electricity again i will get a pic of the meter hooked into the Socket.
Thanks G
So just Bitmain firmware or 3rd party ones floating around?

You also mentioned server PSUs. You running breakout boards or hacking them up yourself?
greaseman316

Post by greaseman316 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 pm

sorry so long for response!!! i have been in Robot hell for last 6 hours.
Bitmain firmware ONLY!
the firmware has only made a difference in which pool you are using and how much they switch difficulties. Each one reacts a little different to the switching, temp changes and frequency of the miner.
Never use a break out board for any of the miners IMHO. I did not hack them up but i did spend some time make everything to be able to handle the loads the miners put on the wiring. mine has 4 + and 4 - slots to work with. so i made for the D3s three power connections with only 2 plugs and 1 with 3. they are run thru 6 awg main line to triple 16awg per socket. all the connections are put together with a 6 awg parallel connector and all the + and - 16awg to the sockets/plugs and then soldered together. all other connections are also soldered in place as well. I have the on/off circuit wired on because i can access the power disconnect right next to the miners so i do not need the on /off switch.
back to robot hell again!!!
bbl tonight
MinerMaximus

Post by MinerMaximus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:20 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:
crika1 wrote:Best settings to use for a d3?
Hopefully someone will be able to provide more detailed information, but at the very least, you need to use "a=x11," to indicate that this miner is an x11 miner, as a password argument.
Interesting... so if i dont put nothing on password it is mining litecoin as i see on earnings.
With AWP From Bitmain is drawing 1150W (220v). My elect Cost here looks to be $0.18/Kwh

Looking for the best i can do at the moment.
AppleMiner

Post by AppleMiner » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 pm

If you dont add a=x11 to the password line for a D3, it wont work on this pool.
It will default to scrypt and not give any shares, just cost you electric power $$$