Power limit on mobile GPU

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Banished_Privateer

Re: Power limit on mobile GPU

Post by Banished_Privateer » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:54 pm

Upon some reading it seems like it's the BIOS limitation, sadly. Man, it does suck not to be able to go DOWN, which poses pretty much no dangers.
Mastermind007

Post by Mastermind007 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:22 pm

Yeah. Instead of just setting a cap on the max and allowing for adjustments they just locked it.
Banished_Privateer

Post by Banished_Privateer » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:53 am

What's hilarious is I accidently found how to lower power consumption of my GPU, still not sure how exactly it works, but it does! So I have my Daedalus Wallet running, it consumes a lot of RAM and for some reason when it's running, my GPU uses only 55W instead of 80W and temps drop to 55-60C degrees instead of spiking to 80 and higher. Fans also run slower due to lower temps and the most surprising thing is that hashrate remains exactly at the same level. This seem rather odd and vague, but I will continue doing so as long as I don't find a better bypass. While mining I also downclock my CPU to bare minimum using Throttlestop, it also helps a lot with temps and power consumption.
Urnso

Post by Urnso » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:01 pm

-MaVerick- wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:25 pm If your OC is hard on the limit of what the card can do, you may get those flashy red errors when trying to create the DAG. So if you use Afterburner, the card is on full OC all the time, even if the miner happens to restart for whatever reason. If that happens, the DAG gets generated once more and the errors could occur.

If you use the command line, you only need the miner, no other programms. So thats a plus. Also the OC gets applied automaticaly after DAG generation, so sudden restarts dont matter.
This has saved my power supplies so many times over. I always take the time to find my OC's using afterburner and then those go into the bat file once it's been stable. AB only controls my fans as I like the way it controls the temp and speeds. Adrenaline does the same thing for AMD and setting those parameters in the miner for AMD are about the same.