Comparison between litecoinpool and prohashing - How to reconcile configuration?

Discuss issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced Prohashing miners.
Forum rules
Welcome to the mining rig and connectivity support forum!

This forum is for discussing issues with mining rigs and connectivity issues with experienced PROHASHING miners. This is a great place to ask questions about connecting specific hardware to PROHASHING.

Remember, PROHASHING employees do not closely monitor the forums like we do the official support channels, so this forum's purpose is to connect you with other PROHASHING miners who have experience with similar hardware/issues. If you have connectivity issues you are unable to resolve here on the forum, please submit a ticket through the official support channels.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
desmike481

Comparison between litecoinpool and prohashing - How to reconcile configuration?

Post by desmike481 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi - I just started to mine under prohashing. Previously I was mining under litecoinpool and wanted to try mining multiple coins. I see some performance differences and am hoping it's related to my prohashing configuration that can be tweaked somehow before I move the larger part of my setup.

LITECOINPOOL PERFORMANCE:

When I was mining in litecoinpool, my performance with 5 moonlander2 cards was 22.45 (nearly 4.5MH per card). The performance was very consistent across all cards (4.48 - 4.50). HW errors in aggregate was 0.83%, and rejected shares was 0.25%.

Configuration:

./bfgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://us.litecoinpool.org:3333 -u myuserid.1 -p myminerpw -S ALL --set MLD:clock=796

PROHASHING PERFORMANCE:

My performance thus far (1 day) using the same 5 cards is 21.75 (4.35 MH per card). The card performances vary (4.27 - 4.44). HW errors in aggregate is higher at 1.1%. Rejects shares are much higher -- 2.9%

Configuration:

./bfgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333/#skipcbcheck -u myuserid -p "a=scrypt n=myminer w=33.675 p=0.08" -S ALL --set MLD:clock=796 --scan-time 1 --failover-only

ADDITIONAL OBSERVATIONS:

I still see messages such as:
  • Pool 0 is issuing work for an old block: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Rejected xxxxxxxx MLD 0 Diff xxx/xxm (The primary coin's share was)
When connecting to litecoinpool, intensity seems to be defaulted (im not specifying it in the config) to 2.99uB. When connecting to prohashing, the intensity value is "?".

When I ping prohashing.com, i get 73ms avg... litecoinpool.org give me 205ms avg.

SUMMARY:

Latency is less pinging prohashing.com, but performance seems to be lower, combined with higher hardware errors and higher rejected shares...

I added "--scan-time 1", which reduced some of the error msgs but not all.
I added #skipcbcheck, which got rid of all coinbase check msgs.

Anything I should change in my configuration file to get better results?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
pavvappav

Re: Comparison between litecoinpool and prohashing - How to reconcile configuration?

Post by pavvappav » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:55 pm

desmike481 wrote:Hi - I just started to mine under prohashing. Previously I was mining under litecoinpool and wanted to try mining multiple coins. I see some performance differences and am hoping it's related to my prohashing configuration that can be tweaked somehow before I move the larger part of my setup.

LITECOINPOOL PERFORMANCE:

When I was mining in litecoinpool, my performance with 5 moonlander2 cards was 22.45 (nearly 4.5MH per card). The performance was very consistent across all cards (4.48 - 4.50). HW errors in aggregate was 0.83%, and rejected shares was 0.25%.

Configuration:

./bfgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://us.litecoinpool.org:3333 -u myuserid.1 -p myminerpw -S ALL --set MLD:clock=796

PROHASHING PERFORMANCE:

My performance thus far (1 day) using the same 5 cards is 21.75 (4.35 MH per card). The card performances vary (4.27 - 4.44). HW errors in aggregate is higher at 1.1%. Rejects shares are much higher -- 2.9%

Configuration:

./bfgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333/#skipcbcheck -u myuserid -p "a=scrypt n=myminer w=33.675 p=0.08" -S ALL --set MLD:clock=796 --scan-time 1 --failover-only

ADDITIONAL OBSERVATIONS:

I still see messages such as:
  • Pool 0 is issuing work for an old block: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Rejected xxxxxxxx MLD 0 Diff xxx/xxm (The primary coin's share was)
When connecting to litecoinpool, intensity seems to be defaulted (im not specifying it in the config) to 2.99uB. When connecting to prohashing, the intensity value is "?".

When I ping prohashing.com, i get 73ms avg... litecoinpool.org give me 205ms avg.

SUMMARY:

Latency is less pinging prohashing.com, but performance seems to be lower, combined with higher hardware errors and higher rejected shares...

I added "--scan-time 1", which reduced some of the error msgs but not all.
I added #skipcbcheck, which got rid of all coinbase check msgs.

Anything I should change in my configuration file to get better results?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
What is the difficulty you are running at? Prohashing will dynamically adjust the difficulty; however, its possible to set a static difficulty. The difficulty settings for litecoinpool are also lower than the default values for Prohashing. I think litecoinpool used to put me at 32k, but I have difficulty set statically on Prohashing at 131072. The 'd=' password argument is used to set difficulty.
desmike481

Re: Comparison between litecoinpool and prohashing - How to reconcile configuration?

Post by desmike481 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:15 pm

For litecoinpool I found better performance by removing the difficulty setting.

Prohashing appears to be dynamically determining the best difficulty, which currently shows as "Target Difficulty: 8,192".

Per their help -- "If this argument is not provided, then the pool will select a difficulty that results in shares being submitted once per minute"

I will try setting this manually to see if performance improves... Looks like you set it significantly higher than litecoinpool (32k >> 131k). Was that to reduce the worker restarts?

Thanks for your reply.
Mike
desmike481

Post by desmike481 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:26 am

Note --- After a full 24 hrs, I can confirm that I was getting .00235 / day LTC in litecoinpool, vs .00215 my first day with prohashing... (8% less). :shock:

I've set my difficulty statically at 4,096. I don't know if that's an appropriate setting given the difficulty prohashing was targetting was 8,192.

Hoping it helps! Will check back in tomorrow to see how it's progressing.

Mike
desmike481

Post by desmike481 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:20 am

After 9+ hrs of having a static difficulty of 4,096 (half of the target difficulty prohashing calculated with no difficulty setting), the performance was worse.

Miner performance was down to 21.50. Hw errors were 0.94%. Rejected shares were a whopping 4.2%.... LTC earned was approx 0.0008424.

Config file:

./bfgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333/#skipcbcheck -u myuserid -p "a=scrypt n=myminer w=33.675 p=0.08 d=4096" -S ALL --set MLD:clock=796 --scan-time 1 --failover-only

Should I try a higher difficulty? Any thoughts how to get profitability higher?

Thanks
Mike